What's new

hollow ground? extra hollow ground?

i know this has been asked before, i just don't know where: i am a total newbie to straight razor shaving. i've been looking for straight razors and don't know whether to buy one that is hollow ground, extra hollow ground, or whatever else there may be. as someone that has never used one before, which would i be least likely to slit my throat with?
in advance, thank you all for your help!

This is just my opinion but I think for a first straight you're better of going for something like a quarter hollow or a half hollow at most. As always, YMMV. The first time I tried straight shaving I started with a full hollow and I really didn't like it so I gave up for a little while. The next time I went to a wedge. What a difference. As a newbie, the wedge felt so much more comfortable in my hand and I felt much more confident. I haven't looked back since. I now actually enjoy shaving with a full hollow. I'm going to be shaving next week with my 7 day set that are 6/8 full hollows. I really like the feedback in feel and sound from the blade but that's because I'm now getting experienced at straight shaving.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
If not careful, you can injure yourself very badly with a straight razor regardless of the model.

+1 on John comment, quarter/half hollow is very good. A full or extra will also work, that's not a problem. The quarter/half will give you better feedback.

Have a look at this page: http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/index.php/Straight_Razor_FAQs

I think the hollower grinds give much better feedback. They are the finesse razors. The more wedgie razors will plow through your beard. They are the brute strength razors.

In any event, no matter what you wind up with, make sure it is shave ready from a reputable source, and check back often with questions - we're here to help.:thumbup1:

You'll have better success initially with a heavier grind - 1/2, 1/4 or wedge. For better or worse, these are mostly vintage razors. So look to the BST for one.

Heavier grinds are definitely easier when starting out - one you go pro you can switch to an extra hollow ground! :thumbup:

This is just my opinion but I think for a first straight you're better of going for something like a quarter hollow or a half hollow at most. As always, YMMV. The first time I tried straight shaving I started with a full hollow and I really didn't like it so I gave up for a little while. The next time I went to a wedge. What a difference. As a newbie, the wedge felt so much more comfortable in my hand and I felt much more confident. I haven't looked back since. I now actually enjoy shaving with a full hollow. I'm going to be shaving next week with my 7 day set that are 6/8 full hollows. I really like the feedback in feel and sound from the blade but that's because I'm now getting experienced at straight shaving.

+1

Very helpful. That's the route I might take.

Wedges are a lot of trouble to hone. I find Framebacks a MASSIVE pain to shave with (A flat tang that's like 2mm wide does NOT fit my hand well). But honestly, I've used everything from 1/4 to Extra hollow and they all shave great. There are differences, but I don't find any to be both significant and objectively measurable. I had the opposite experience of most. I found Full hollows the best early on and am only now appreciating thicker grinds. The reason was basically that I did my own honing from the start and as I get better/faster I'm more willing to put the time in on the thicker grinds to achieve the keenness I could get from a Dubl Duck XXXXedge by rubbing it on a stone a few times and calling it a day back when I started.

Last edited:
As a newbie who has a hollow, and a 1/4 hollow, I feel like the type of grind doesn't make that much of a difference. The size (5/8, 6/8 etc.) is more important imo.

As a newbie who has a hollow, and a 1/4 hollow, I feel like the type of grind doesn't make that much of a difference. The size (5/8, 6/8 etc.) is more important imo.

In my experience, anything over 4-5/8 is really just preference as to how long you want to shave before washing the blade in the sink (i.e. how much stuff the blade holds when shaving).

The point of the depth of grind is to allow for a more dialed in response when shaving; more control; etc. Blades at Full Hollow - Extra Hollow literally talk to you through your fingertips. However, because everyone's facial hair growth and shaving technique differs, the blade you choose may not shave the same across everyone's face.

As a beginner, I would recommend getting a middle of the road blade like a 1/4 or 1/2 Hollow Grind in a 4 or 5/8 size. Heck, get a few and see what works for you like I am doing right now. Make sure you check out http://www.whippeddog.com/ for a good deal on decent used razors that come shave-ready. Nothing like spending $175 on a beautiful 11/16 Full Hollow TI only to find out you hate it.

Good luck and let us know what you get.

Last edited:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I think the effect of an extra hollow blade is amplified in a smaller razor. I have a barely 4/8 Koeller Velvo that is an extreme hollow ground, and it's almost like shaving with a DE blade held between thumb and forefinger. :w00t:

I would have to agree with the majority here. Either can slit your throat with bad technique, but that isn't very likely. By starting with a 1/4 to 1/2 hollow, you have a little less flex and a little better feeling of control. It is also a good starting point as you can tell whether or not you perfer more or less flex. I would advise similarly to start with a medium width...say a 5/8 and you can easily adjust up or down based on your experience. Just don't get discouraged if you first few shaves aren't perfect and a minor knick or two are to be expected...Good Luck!!:thumbup1:

Top Bottom