What's new

Which To Start With?

My new Simpson T1, Parker R90 and an assortment or sample blades just arrived :jump:

Both excited and scared since this is my first go around with a safety razor.

Which blade would be a safe bet to start off with? :

Timor
Shark
Crystal
Blue bird
Iridium super
Gillette 7 o'clock
Gillette super thin
Personna (in red wrapper)

A Personna, BlueBird, or Shark should serve you well starting out. Just remember to go slow and use absolutely no pressure. Just let the weight of the razor and the blade do the cutting for you. You are simply there to tell the razor where to go. Let the tool do the work for you. If you can hear the scritch of the whiskers being whacked, you are on the right track!:thumbup1:

A Personna, BlueBird, or Shark should serve you well starting out. Just remember to go slow and use absolutely no pressure. Just let the weight of the razor and the blade do the cutting for you. You are simply there to tell the razor where to go. Let the tool do the work for you. If you can hear the scritch of the whiskers being whacked, you are on the right track!:thumbup1:
OK thanks. I am now second guessing my Parker selection. Got the one that I thought looked nicest.
Problem it is nicely sculpted and has no knurling to grip if hands are wet. Actually thinking of swapping it for a Parker 98R (4.2 oz) heavy weight or Merkur 38C. Would these be a wise choice? One I got feels a little light at 2.6 oz and if weight of razor and not pressure is used then it should be better, right?

Most razors are pretty light. Gillette Superspeeds are not an exception. I get amazing shaves using these, and I still let the weight of the razor do the work. If you are looking for a heavier razor, both the Slim and Fatboy have served me well, and it's hard to go wrong with the Gillette Red Tip Superspeed, too. I realize I probably didn't help you at all with making a decision, but one of the joys of wetshaving is having options available!:wink2::001_smile

Just about every aspect of shaving is a personal experience. There are lots of products these boards consider to be "great" products and have a large following. But if you look closely, there are always people who will say, "This particular product was just not for me."

Therefore, I'd advise to proceed with your initial instincts and spend some time with your newly purchased R90. Take your time and note what you like and don't like about it. Work on your technique, which will be vitally more important than simply the weight of the razor. Once you're comfortable (or not :wink2:) then you'll better know the characteristics that are important to your shave. You'll save a lot of money that way and have a better shave to boot.

I would start out with the Gillette 7 O'clock blades. They are smooth and not overly sharp, a combination that is forgiving as far as razor blades go. Just my 2 cents.

Well, that would depend if you are an aggressive shaver or not. If you are not sure, the Crystals (a.k.a. Super+ Platinums) are a good, all around blade.

First of all, Welcome to B&B.
proxy.php

Personna, Crystal, Gillette 7 O'Clock in that order.
Please watch Mantic59's videos before shaving.
It will save you some time and blood.

John

Used 7'O Clock first this Tuesday and truly enjoyed my first Safety Razor shave. No nicks or cuts and only a little minor irritation from going over too much to get the feel. Shaved down and will give ample time before I switch to up to get that awesome close result.

Had high fears going into it. See my "Funny How Our Fears" post in general shaving section for a possible laugh. Thanks for all the input and advice I was given.

-Randal

Crystal, or Personna Red, they're pretty much the standard I judge other blades by.

Me too--Personnas are a good basic blade. Any other blade that I try which is either equal to or sharper than a Personna stays in my hoard. Anything worse gets thrown out.

Me too--Personnas are a good basic blade. Any other blade that I try which is either equal to or sharper than a Personna stays in my hoard. Anything worse gets thrown out.
I should be set. Got about a half dozed different individual sample blades, ten Crystals, ten Sharks and five Blue Birds. How are the Sharks and Blue Birds?

I should be set. Got about a half dozed different individual sample blades, ten Crystals, ten Sharks and five Blue Birds. How are the Sharks and Blue Birds?

Wish I knew--I have Sharks and BlueBirds on the way. As always though, it's YMMV.

I like the Shark Super Chromium blades a lot; the Shark Super Stainless blades, not so much.

Top Bottom