What's new

Music or No Music When Running

Do you listen to music, podcasts or audiobooks when running?

• Yes

• No

• I am a professional opera singer and sing "The Barber of Seville" while I run.

Results are only viewable after voting.
When I first started to run, I carried an iPod and listened to music or audiobooks but as I became more serious about running, I quit carrying the iPod.

I'm just wondering what everyone's personal preference is and why. It may have been psychological, but with a heat index of 105 and humidity at 80% or higher, It felt cooler without the earplugs. Now, I find the iPod to be a distraction.

Last edited:
Audiobooks for me. Music bores me.

In hot weather, you'll need to make sure you have the right kind of earbuds or your ears will fill with water.

I have to listen to music when I work out. The heavier the better. I've been listening to Slipknot in my MP3 player almost exclusively for the last year.

Hmm, I've never when/if I run or walk. I normally don't run since I don't like to overload my legs since I work them with weights, but occationally I will walk a trail. Working out though, most definitely need some blood flowing music.

I voted no, but will, on an occasional long road run, bring the iPod. Most long runs these days are on trails, and there neither books nor music add to the experience.

Yes, yes, a thousand times yes. I listen to pop music with a good beat. The type of music they play at clubs. My best runs come when I've discovered a new song and play it over and over while running.

I can do without it, but I much prefer to run with music. Always have. I tend to run to the beat.

A distraction for me...I do mostly trail running and I like to soak in nature rather than carry everyday distractions with me on the trail.

Voted no.. if I have my fanny pack or hydration pack on I'll put my iPhone in it and listen to a podcast, otherwise nothing.. mainly for safety.

yes and no.

I've been working on my technique a lot, and I've started listening to my foot strikes as I run. I notice that as I get tired I get sloppy and start running loudly. Hearing that helps me correct and get back into the right stride.

I've done both.

I run with a coworker during lunch, so music is out of the question since we talk all the time. It's also good because it keeps you from pace from getting too fast since you need to be able to hold a conversation.

Occasionally, if I'm running by myself, I run with music/podcasts and do enjoy it. I haven't done it lately for safety reasons. I have the kind of earbuds that are more like earplugs (etymotic ER4's), and they do a great job of blocking out noise. I'm just worried that I won't hear something coming up on me and get hurt.

I also use my iPod to make sure I'm pacing correctly. I recently downloaded a 180 bpm mp3 to ensure I'm pacing correctly.

I don't use it for a couple of reasons and the main one being is a safety reason. It is an easy way to get distracted and as a runner and cyclist you are always on the defensive even if you run on the sidewalk.

The other reason is because I like to feel the way I run. I believe that you have to learn to learn to listen to your body like your breathing, your foot strikes and to concentrate and feel if you're overtraining.

When I can run outdoors (about 6 months/year here in alaska), usually no Ipod, but on a dreadmill in the winter I gotta have something.

I generally don't like running outside with music. I enjoy being outdoors and I also think it's a safety issue. If I have to run inside, I might. Treadmills and the like can be pretty boring. Even then, if I have my workout broken up into intervals, I find music distracting.

I definitely prefer to run outside with music. The right music keeps me motivated, moving and helps pass the time.

I have a songs where the beat fits with the tempo of my runs. I find I can run longer and faster when I use music.

I listen to music when road running, but I ditch it on the trails.

As far as listening to myself (footfalls, breathing, etc.) I find the more I think about it the worse my form gets and I get distracted. So the music actually helps there. I skip it on trail runs since there's a lot of single track and it's just safer to not have it w/ others on the trail.

As far as what kind of music, I actually listen to slower songs when running hills I find it keeps my breathing/pace under control. Then put more upbeat songs on faster ground.

As far as listening to myself (footfalls, breathing, etc.) I find the more I think about it the worse my form gets and I get distracted.

All I'm listening for is whether my feet slap the ground or fall silently. If I can hear my footsteps, I know I'm running badly.

That's the biggest issue with me. I get bored so easily; I need something to distract me.

Exactly!

I voted no: life just doesn't need a sound track.

:lol:

I have a songs where the beat fits with the tempo of my runs. I find I can run longer and faster when I use music.

Me too....

I listen to music when road running, but I ditch it on the trails.

I do this as well. I don't trail run as often as I'd like because there aren't any good trails close to home but when I do, I just listen to nature.

Top Bottom