What's new

Tell me what I've got (part 1, Straight Razors)

Okay, I've been wetshaving my whole life, but recently got multiples cases of AD. Until recently I have only ever shaved with my dad's Black Beauty which he gave to me when I was twelve, and the Gillette Sensor that Gillette sent me for my 18th birthday (do they still do that?). So, my neighbor was cleaning out some stuff and gave me all of her husband's/father's/father-n-law's shaving stuff that had been accumulating. So that said, I know nothing about straights but would love to start learning. I've dug around in here a little but would like to know what you all can tell me bout this stuff.

First up:
John Engstrom Jr. Co / Little Valley, N.Y.
Formerly of Eskiltunia, Sweden
5/8 Hollow
proxy.php

Is John the americanized version of Johan or is this a different person, son perhaps? The case for this is marked Kelley - How / Thomson Co Germany, and the cap of the case is marked Duluth, Minn. I am wondering if this is perhaps the wrong case? Duluth is just up the road from here, so Kelly- How could be the store it was bought in, but I can't explain Germany. Is this a spike that has had the spike ground off? or is it an ooblong(sp?) or something else. What are the scales made of?

Second:
Clauss Shearworks
Fremont Ohio
13/16? hollow
proxy.php

I'm guessing the scales are bakelite. Got the case as well, but the cap is kind of smashed up.

Third:
Geo. Wostenholm & Sons
Best Concave Razor
Celebrated IXL razor
Washington Works
5/8 maybe 9/16
proxy.php

I'm assuming these are dyed bone scales. I'm a little confused with the Best Concave part. Is this a wedge, partial hollow, etc. It look to me quite wedge like, but not completely. I would have guessed something like 1/4 hollow, but I don't know. I have the case for this one as well, but it is really beat up.
proxy.php

There is a pretty wicked gouge in the back scale as well as a crack by the front pin. It looks like someone tried to fill the gouge as there is some sort of putty in it.

Last:
Kanners
Slyde Stroke
Stropper
proxy.php

This thing is in horrible condition. The metal is very tarnished/rusted with spots of mildew. The case is falling apart and the snaps ripped out. The leather strop is very cut up and rotten, and there are holes clean through the leather in spots. Is it worth it to do anything with this, or should I just bin it?

So, what should I do with these? Clean em up and and use them as is?, send them off to a honemeister? If I want to give straight razor shaving a shot, which should I start with? Anything you can tell me would be appreciated.

Check out part 2 (in the Safety razor forum) and part 3 (in the brush forum).

Thanks

Last edited:
they all look in pretty good nick.

if you want to clean them up a bit, check out the diy straight resto link in my sig, otherwise yeah, they look in pretty good condition and a honemeister will be able to get them going for you

No don't bin it. There are people with a talent for restoring little gems of shaving history such as your automatic stropper. You got pretty lucky. The razors all look like a little cleaning and sharpening and they'll free you from the world of cartridge shaving. Nice little haul you got there!

free you from the world of cartridge shaving.

Thankfully, I only use the Sensor for traveling. The rest of the time it is the Long Handle Super Adjustable. Until recently anyways, when I have been using a Fat Boy and a Slim (and just picked up a Red Tip). Managed 22 years of wet shaving with one DE and now I've picked up 8 more in the last 2 months. My AD is making up for lost time.

Top Bottom