What's new

At What Point Is the Rooney a Shedder?

I have a Rooney 1/2. It shed 1 to 3 hairs a day for 2 weeks. The vendor requested I wash the brush, comb it out, etc., to get all the loose hairs out and give it a week (which I feel is reasonable). Today, a week later, this is the first day it has not shed in 3 weeks.

Has it REALLY stopped shedding? I've decided to see if I can get 3 straight days of no shedding - O/W back it goes.

Or should I just say enough is enough? :001_huh:

The only Rooney I have now is the 1/1 Finest and it does not shed at all....I don't remember it ever shedding. My Rooney 2/1 did shed when I first got it but then it stopped. Just keep using it and see what happens....good luck.

I would give it another week. If you had no shedding today after following their wash and comb out instructions, and the next week or so is also shed free, you probably resolved the shedding problem. When I had a Rooney shedder, it was dropping 10-15 hairs at a time, and the wash/comb out did nothing to change that.

I have a Rooney 1/2. It shed 1 to 3 hairs a day for 2 weeks. The vendor requested I wash the brush, comb it out, etc., to get all the loose hairs out and give it a week (which I feel is reasonable). Today, a week later, this is the first day it has not shed in 3 weeks.

Has it REALLY stopped shedding? I've decided to see if I can get 3 straight days of no shedding - O/W back it goes.

Or should I just say enough is enough? :001_huh:

Pretty sure I know which vendor we're talking about - the reason he recommends that treatment is because it expedites the reasonable hair loss of a brush that will otherwise be fine, but if shedding survives that treatment, it's terminal. If it's stopped, and stays stopped, you're good to go. If it continues to shed now, or reasonably into the future, he'll take it back and give you another.

Don't worry about "missing" your opportunity to swap it out. He's a good guy.

Pretty sure I know which vendor we're talking about - the reason he recommends that treatment is because it expedites the reasonable hair loss of a brush that will otherwise be fine, but if shedding survives that treatment, it's terminal. If it's stopped, and stays stopped, you're good to go. If it continues to shed now, or reasonably into the future, he'll take it back and give you another.

Don't worry about "missing" your opportunity to swap it out. He's a good guy.

Agreed! If it is the same vendor, I just returned one that was dropping up to 15+ hairs, after the treatment. I gave it a go for at least a month and it was pretty clear it was not slowing down. I don't think I had one day where it did not drop something. Just got the replacement so we will see what happens.

This is encouraging information. I just had to write a sad email regarding what I believe to be a Rooney shedder as well. This one has had a couple of months to get over the shedding "break-in period" issue, but still drops about 3-7 bristles each shave. Hopefully there will be a happy resolution.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
When there's only one hair left, it's safe to say it's a shedder.

It seems members have a little problem with Rooney brushes being shredders. Does anyone have this problem with the other high end brushes?

It's hard to get good data: what we mostly hear are anecdotes. With that in mind, I have heard more about shedding Simpsons than shedding Rooneys.

I've had a Rooney 3/1 super for about 10 months and use it every shave. I don't remember it ever losing any hair.

I'd venture that those who have no shedding issues have nothing to say, and probably don't even come into the brushes forum very often since they are so happy with their brush.

I'd venture that those who have no shedding issues have nothing to say, and probably don't even come into the brushes forum very often since they are so happy with their brush.

+1. I just got a Rooney 1/1, just over a month ago, and it hasn't shed one hair so far as I've noticed. I wasn't going to respond to this thread, as it seemed a little silly to reply just to say that I've got nothing to report.

But I don't think that Rooney's necessarily have a shedding problem, any more than Simpson's or Shavemac's or any other quality brush. Just that sometimes you get one that sheds, that's just the luck of it. Hopefully the vendor will take care of you if that's the case.

I've had both high end Rooney and Simpsons brushes that shed. I've also had brushes from them that didn't.

I'm on my fourth Savile Row and none of them have shed a single hair that I have seen, and I don't baby them either.

I also have a New Forest 2201 which hasn't shed a single hair either, and that cost £25!

I have a feeling that the denser brushes are more prone to shedding, and that there are lapses in QC.

John

The new Rooney 1/2 is gorgeous. I shampooed and combed it and not a single hair did it shed. :thumbup:

Below are pre and post bloom pics.

Top Bottom