What's new

Newbie needs help with thick, curly facial hair that grows flat

Hey all,

Nearly 20 years of bad shaving experience brings me here. I have awful facial hair:

- My hair shafts are incredibly thick - brand new Mach 3 blades snag
- My facial hair is curly, which wouldn't be too much of a problem except:
- It grows flat against my face which means in-gron hairs are very, very common

I've tried most over the counter disposable and semi-disposable setups with little luck. I've even tried depilatory creme, but by the time it eats through the hairs it gives me a wicked chemical burn.

I currently use a Braun Series 5 electric razor in combination with a Schick Xtreme 3 but I always get a few ingrown hairs (I try not going against the grain, but that leaves many uncut hairs as they grown so flat).

I've started using topical cortisone creme after shaving to reduce inflammation. The cortisone has been a huge benefit to my shaving routine, but it still fails to address the real problem.

I'm considering the use of a safety razor in lieu of my current setup.

Any suggestions are much, much appreciated!

Thanks to all for the warm welcome!

I've starting reading that link and will watch the videos before making any purchases. Thanks!

Mantic59's videos are great to watch. I learned a few tricks that helped me solve some issues that I originally thought were just part of shaving. Excellent production and VERY informative. I have a feeling that you'll find something there that will help you on your quest. Welcome to B&B!

Welcome to the good ship B&B. Take a stroll on the promenade deck and enjoy the voyage. :thumbup1:

Always remember, relax but be vigilant when you shave!

For your kind of hair which I've in number of spots on my neck and face I find a shave stick and face lathering works the best. Working the soap in the face and then working the brush on it helps lift the hair up and helps with cutting it. I also find that using cold water instead of hot helps too...

I've started using topical cortisone creme after shaving to reduce inflammation. The cortisone has been a huge benefit to my shaving routine, but it still fails to address the real problem.

I'm not sure I'd make this a daily habit. I used it a lot to self-treat facial rosacea when I was younger, and found it seemed to have rapidly diminishing returns, plus ferocious rebound effects. Later, I wised-up and saw a dermatologist, who warned me it can lead to thinner skin. That certainly won't help with your ingrowns. There is some controversy about this, and some doctors will tell you it's perfectly fine for daily use at mild potency, but my thinking is that it's good for temporary things and questionable for chronic conditions.

I don't have experience with your particular concerns, but I'd sure want to try a safety razor if I did. A nice sharp blade with a slick soap/cream lather might give you more success when shaving with the grain. Maybe a medicated shaving cream could be had from your doctor.

If that didn't work for me, and I'd spent 20 years of suffering in pursuit of a clean face, I'd probably start thinking about laser hair removal.

Here's hoping the DE does right by you! :shaving:

I'm a newbie myself, but I hope this is sound advice.

Hey all,

Nearly 20 years of bad shaving experience brings me here. I have awful facial hair:

- My hair shafts are incredibly thick - brand new Mach 3 blades snag
- My facial hair is curly, which wouldn't be too much of a problem except:
- It grows flat against my face which means in-gron hairs are very, very common

I've tried most over the counter disposable and semi-disposable setups with little luck. I've even tried depilatory creme, but by the time it eats through the hairs it gives me a wicked chemical burn.

I currently use a Braun Series 5 electric razor in combination with a Schick Xtreme 3 but I always get a few ingrown hairs (I try not going against the grain, but that leaves many uncut hairs as they grown so flat).

I'm considering the use of a safety razor in lieu of my current setup.

Any suggestions are much, much appreciated!

Welcome to B&B.

I have the exact same beard type and had similar problems. It took me months of trial and error to find the right razors, blades, creams, soaps...etc.

I might get flamed for some of my recommendations but this is what worked for me:

1. Razor: get a Merkur 37C Slant or a Merkur Futur which is a RAD killer and is adjustable. If I had the Futur or the Slant as my first DE razor, I would have saved so much money. This is not the traditional advice being given but I find it easier to shave with a Slant and Futur than any other DE razor because I can use longer strokes, rinse less and shave quicker. My beard much like yours requires an aggressive razor with a sharp but smooth blade.

2. Get a blade sampler. My favorite blade is the Personna (Red Pack), followed by Astra SP.

3. Use Tabac shaving soap. I love the scent, some guys hate the scent, bottom line is that at this moment your main concern is getting a good shave and having a healthy face. It provides a great, slick, protective lather.

4. Maybe you already know how to wet shave if not, learn to properly prep, lather and shave and the easiest way to do this is watch Mantic59 videos on youtube or read the Sticky at the Newbie Check-In forum on this site.

I hope I haven't been too blunt but if I had done the above, my life would have been so much better.

I have the same problem!!! My recent experience with wet shaving has been MUCH more enjoyable! That's right, enjoyable! I've been reading up on this forum, and the advice above (or advice like it) got me started off just fine. I would also recommend geofatboy on youtube. He has a different "flavor" if Mantic isn't your style.

Also, let me know if you have any breakthroughs!

Good Luck!!!

Top Bottom