What's new

Help me get started with A/S?

Okay I have never used a real after shave before, and I have just started DE shaving this week. I have used Nivea Cooling After Shave Balm but I think it is irritating my sensitive skin.

So can anyone recommend an A/S, preferably with a "cool" scent (ie: CK Be cologne, Gillette "Cool Wave" deodorant, or the aforementioned Nivea balm)?

If you can't think of anything with that scent but you still think you have a good suggestions for a person with sensitive skin please let me know! I'm open to all ideas....

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Have you tried Nivea Sensitive balm? It might be a good way to see if it's the AS or not as that one should help. Unless you're allergic to Nivea...

I really like Proraso. Splash in my case but the balm is very nice too.

one of the flavored Thayer's Witch Hazel products might be for you... and if not cool enough scents, just plain ol' WH followed by your favorite scenting product could work.

...welcome to B&B!

Nivea lotion is a byproduct of some New Jersey Cupronol factory (IMHO:w00t:), smells chemically, and irritated my skin as well (thus the vitriol....)

Step #1 for aquiring AS:

Buy some Alt-Insbruck

Step #2:

Enjoy the pain

Step #3

Enjoy the cool!

Great stuff!:thumbup:

Step #1 for aquiring AS:

Buy some Alt-Insbruck

Alt-Insbruck is amazing stuff!! Smells wonderful!!

I would also recommend any of the American Classics: Skin Bracer, Aqua Velva, Old Spice, Clubman, Brut, Avon Wild Country, and Barbasol Pacific Rush, and Barbasol Brisk.

Okay I have never used a real after shave before, and I have just started DE shaving this week. I have used Nivea Cooling After Shave Balm but I think it is irritating my sensitive skin.

So can anyone recommend an A/S, preferably with a "cool" scent (ie: CK Be cologne, Gillette "Cool Wave" deodorant, or the aforementioned Nivea balm)?

If you can't think of anything with that scent but you still think you have a good suggestions for a person with sensitive skin please let me know! I'm open to all ideas....

As far as "cool" scent goes the aforementioned Aqua Velva and Mennen Skin Bracer are good options. You will have to see how your sensitive skin reacts to alcohol. If something as mild as Nivea Cooling irritates you then you may have a few problems with alcohol.

Assuming you can tolerate alcohol-based AS, I would strongly recommend you branch out and try some of the "warmer" scents contained in higher quality drugstore aftershaves, such as English Leather and Tabac Original. Both are good options for sensitive skin in my experience.

+ 1 on Aqua Velva. It's probably the original cool-water scent; it feels like nice cold water on your face.

If you want to spend about twenty dollars more, you can try TOBS (Taylor of Old Bond Street) St. James, which is slightly "warmer," and more complex and oceanic than Aqua Velva.

Nivea lotion is a byproduct of some New Jersey Cupronol factory (IMHO:w00t:), smells chemically, and irritated my skin as well (thus the vitriol....)

Step #1 for aquiring AS:

Buy some Alt-Insbruck

Step #2:

Enjoy the pain

Step #3

Enjoy the cool!

+1 on Alt Innsbruck with the following twist:

few drops of Alt Innsbruck + some AS milk (like D.R Harris) or moisturizer (like Trumper's)...apply to skin and after initial sting, your face will feel super moisturized.

Get yourself a bottle of Aqua Velva and a bottle of Old Spice. Use them for a couple of weeks. Figure out if you like them or not, how much to use, etc. When they become part of your routine, branch out. Lots of love for Alt Innsbruck here, but I'd lay off the expensive mail order buys until you get a sense of what you want. Alt Innsbruck is very nice but the scent is not one that is universally loved and you might as well find your feet first. Check out the reviews posted here and in the review section too. Gradually you can find what you like. And remember the BST. It's a great source of things you might never find otherwise, and a fine place to pass products you don't like on to someone who will appreciate them.

buy mama bear summer or winter AS (pick your own scents), thayer's witchhazel and Aqua Velva!! I feel I have sensitive skin and do fine with all of the above!

Last edited:

Be aware AS isn't cologne. Most of the scents only last a short while, or leave just a very light trace later on. This varies, but AS isn't designed to stick around long.

I vote Speick.

Gillette has a splash in their "cool wave" scent...it has a bit of a burn but is a good after shave with a clean scent that still comes in a glass bottle...at least they are doing one thing right.

Be aware AS isn't cologne. Most of the scents only last a short while, or leave just a very light trace later on. This varies, but AS isn't designed to stick around long.

I vote Speick.

Quorum AS may be the exception that proves the rule... it includes witch hazel, so fairly effective for the skin, and with a scent that stays on forever.

Speick AS, this is great aftershave IMHO. No burn, no sting, great scent - you can't go wrong.
I am also partial to Old Spice Sensative, again, no burn, no sting and I personally love the scent.

Top Bottom