What's new

issues at mustache area

Hi all. I've been DE shaving for maybe 8+ weeks or so and generally feel I do pretty well. I get the occasional nick and such but no big deal and nothing a styptic pencil can't cure.

I use the following equipment:
EJ DE razor, non-adjustable
Shark Super Chrome blades
C.E.Bigelow shave cream
muhle badger shaving brush
Thayer After Shave Witch Hazel as after shave

I shower before I shave. Every 5th shave or so is a new blade. I do 3+ passes (wtg, xtg, atg, atg touch up) and get a great, super-smooth shave.

My mustache area is a problem though. This is where I get nicks after atg pass. when I do atg it feels like blade tugs stubble quite a bit and isnt as comfortable as anywhere else on my face (I have a goatee so don't shave my chin).
Seems to be less tugging with a new blade, but not consistently nor is tugging eliminated with new blade.

I suppose a blade sampler pack is in order (de rigeur), but is there anything else I can change or try differently? My stubble is definitely thicker and coarser (or just more of it) in this area than anywhere else on my face.
You can somewhat tell in this photo (nevermind the shiner, it was post motorcycle crash):
proxy.php

I think this photo was after a 3+ pass DE shave too...

Any words of wisdom appreciated.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I would try going WTG-XTG-XTG on that spot only and see how it goes. You could push a "4th" pass on the that spot only ATG after...

Considering that your blade angle is right for the first 3 passes already...

I agree with Luc. To get a close shave on my mustache area I have to do some blade buffing - but I have to be careful to avoid any nicks, etc.

I'm with Luc on this one. My 'stache doesn't enjoy the ATG pass so I find it's simpler to go WTG-XTG-(other)XTG. You could also try an "almost ATG" pass which is 20 or 30 degrees off. It will be almost as close as the ATG, but with much less tugging.

Fill in the goatee with the 'stache. I like how my goatee looks, I LOVE that I don't have to shave my upper lip or under my chin. :w00t::w00t:

If you're happy with your technique all you can do is try different blades, if that doesn't work you should consider a different razor. I would recommend switching to an open comb, you won't go wrong with a Gillette New.

Fill in the goatee with the 'stache. I like how my goatee looks, I LOVE that I don't have to shave my upper lip or under my chin. :w00t::w00t:

Technically, if he did that it would no longer be a goatee, it'd be a Van Dyke. :tongue_sm

I agree with the other posters about how to solve the problem.

Are you getting nicks/irritation only after the ATG pass or even before? I'd eliminate the ATG in the mustache area if it's only after that pass, but if you're still getting it before, you might have to work on your prep.

A couple more passes should help. Instead of going straight to ATG from XTG, try doing a couple 45 degree angled XTG passes. So you're not really doing a ATG yet, but it's getting close. Then after that try ATG.

Try some buffin with this one , after your regular WTG pass and then on your third pass you can do XTG with regular blade.At least that works for me!

proxy.php

I am glad that you have a face to shave after your motorcycle crash. I would agree that a blade sampler is in order. Perhaps with your beard, you should change blades more often. I also agree that trying different razors may be beneficial as well. I know from my own experience that trying different razor/blade combinations has resulted in better shaves.

Enjoy your shaves,

Doug

Thanks everyone for the responses.

I would try going WTG-XTG-XTG on that spot only and see how it goes. You could push a "4th" pass on the that spot only ATG after...
So you're saying if I want to do ATG I should only consider it as a 4th pass, if at all at this time? I'll definitely try 2 xtg passes there for the time being.

haha, I had that for years. I prefer it this way now.

dont wipe your face after the shower
I leave my face wet after showering and go straight to shaving. I also soak my brush in a bowl of hot water, and the bowl in a sink of hot water while I shower.

Are you getting nicks/irritation only after the ATG pass or even before? I'd eliminate the ATG in the mustache area if it's only after that pass...
Yes, I am almost nick free until the ATG pass in that area. I do not get nicks anywhere else on any pass, except the occasional one on the neck perhaps...I am still pretty new at this, lol.
I'll skip the ATG pass on mustache area for now and see how it goes with 2 xtg passes instead.

A couple more passes should help. Instead of going straight to ATG from XTG, try doing a couple 45 degree angled XTG passes. So you're not really doing a ATG yet, but it's getting close. Then after that try ATG.
Sounds good. I'll try that.

I am glad that you have a face to shave after your motorcycle crash. I would agree that a blade sampler is in order.
I always wear full face helmet, on street or track. My helmet and full leathers did their job.
The shiner is actually blood pooling in my eye socket from the concussion I got. I also broke some small bones in the backs of my hands. No lost skin at all. Overall not bad for a 70mph crash (at the track).
proxy.php

Thanks again everyone! :blush:

Let us know how its goes Pantablo, Im 6 months in and still having problems with the right side moustache and chin area. I too get problems with the ATG although its so tempting. Im finding the shaves get better after a while and dont always demand a BBS from myself.

Pantablo, just a question: are you spanish? You (nick)name sounds vaguely Spanish.

If you are, try Emulsión Myrsol immediately before the lather. Works wonders but it's not cheap (about 9 euros the bottle @ any barbershop).

Gee, do I look like someone trying to advertise them. But it worked wonders with me.

North-south and back up again - i.e. blade buffing with a slick protective soap works for my tough, pain-in-the-*** beard.

Though, usually, I just go XTG and am happy with that.

I would try going WTG-XTG-XTG on that spot

Agreed

A month or two ago, after struggling in this area, I switched to WTG - XTG (outside in) - XTG (Inside out) and it made a world of difference.

Also, You might think about only going 3 shaves with each blade. I went from trying to squeeze the life out of an 18 cent blade for 6-7 shaves to using a fresh blade every three days. I went from 4 blades a month to 10 and still my MONTHLY blade cost is only $1.80.

Just a thought.

Cheers!
-Greg

The tip to go halfway between ATG and XTG really worked for me. I can't go ATG with irritation. It is as if the blade gets hung up on the whisker, lifts the whisker a bit before getting through it, then nicks the skin just above the whisker because it has become more exposed. Good luck. Looks like you're getting a great result everywhere else.

Top Bottom