What's new

African Black Soap

I'll prob buy a bar just to collect and see how it works. There's a great random shop in the east village that has some obscure colognes, soaps and incenses I want to pick up there on E7th btwn 2nd and 3rd a few doors to the right of mcsorley's

I bought a bar of this a while ago to add to my rotation but have yet to get around to it as the Kiss My Face bar of olive oil and chamomile soap I'm using right now seems to be lasting forever! It looks like it'll be 2011 before my black soap gets a look but it smells nice and has good ingredients in it.

this is a fine west african soap,made without chemicals of any sort...the main ingredient is shea butter,that has become high fashion in the west lately for skin care...the saponification agent is natural lye from charred plantain ,or similar banana skins that creates the lye and induces saponification between fats and lye....your usual grocery store soap is made from tallow,usually from the discarded fat from dead pigs,and sodium hydroxide for the lye....I have brought this back from west africa several times,but from gambia and senegal,which uses the same formula...lately I have brought back "sabuni kienyeji" ,a.k.a. bush soap,from tanzania...there is very little shea butter in east africa,a little in uganda,but is not utilized much....the tanzanians and kenyans use mango butter and avocado butter instead,a fine combo for skin care...about 35 u.s. cents per bar....best soap for sensitive or dry skin...

Yes, I picked up a bar of the Dudu-Osun a few years back when I went into an African store that had opened nearby. It was a good soap and I enjoyed it, but the shop closed and I haven't seen it for sale since.

Top Bottom