What's new

Modded a Schick Hydro 5.

A lot of people think the Hydro 5 cartridge head is large, hence the flip back hydro lube strip. Also there are some people who don't like the hydrating strip because it feels like slime. So what I did was pull off the whole flip back hydro lube hinge (the white part). Now the head is a lot narrower and I don't have that annoying lube strip. All I have is the basic head with the 5 blades. I haven't shaved with the razor without the lube strip, but will try it out the next time I shave. I will use regular shaving gel and see how well it shaves.

Just rip off the part that flips back from the razor head, the part that has the lube strip. I'm talking about the Hydro 5 model. I attached a picture of the part you remove. The part is circled in green that has to be removed, the red arrows point to the part.

Yes, pictures please. I might try that with my Hydro 3 next time I use it (which could be quite a while).

the hydro 3 doesn't have the flip back reservoir IIRC. You really don't have to take off the 5's reservoir, you can just move it back and go about your shaving without it interfering...

the hydro 3 doesn't have the flip back reservoir IIRC. You really don't have to take off the 5's reservoir, you can just move it back and go about your shaving without it interfering...

Yep, posted without really thinking about it. Later, I went ahead and snapped the goo module off my installed Hydro 3 cartridge. I only have one shave on this one, the second cartridge that came with the razor. I'll have to try it sometime in between all the other razors. Might get around to it in a month, or two, or . . .

Except for the goo, it's really not a bad shaver.

I modified mine by just removing the bar. I mix a dab of KMF and Hydro Gel in my badger brush and wa-la great lather no stingy stuff and two pass BBS no irration on my face and no burn with aftershave. This will not be my everyday use, but when in a hurry and time is a factor or traveling this will be the razor I take if I only use a carry on.
Mike

Top Bottom