What's new

Good, inexpensive bar soap?

I would consider reading the informative 1979 article "ALL THAT LATHERS IS NOT SOAP" by Harold Hopkins.

Much of what we think is soap is labeled "bath bar" or "beauty bar" because they cannot be legally labeled "soap" since they contain a synthetic detergent product. Soap (according to the article) is defined by the FDA as a "product in which most of the nonvolatile matter consists of an alkali salt of fatty acids and whose detergent properties are due to these alkali-fatty acid compounds."

Read it yourself here:
http://www.fda.gov/cosmetics/productandingredientsafety/ProductInformation/ucm115449.htm

BTW, Yardley's from USA lists sodium tallowate first and is a "naturally moisturizing bar" and is not labeled soap. Hmm.
Ummm.......sodium tallowate is precisely an alkaline salt of a group of fatty acids, so I'm not sure what you're trying to imply.

They probably called it a naturally moisturizing "bar" because most people equate the word "soap" with "drying," and they want to sell their soap!

Dove mens care is good stuff and so is Dr. Bronner's. Ogallala bay rum soap is great. I am really sensitive to soaps and will itch for days if I use the wrong stuff. These have not let me down.
Ivory is dirt cheap and gentle on my skin though I dislike the smell.

I've posted this before, but I'll spell it right this time.

We use Vanicream at home. It's a cheaper, more moisturizing Dove. We get it at our local Target. You can find it online, too.

Claus Porto (DECO) is the best is a 12.34 ounces , is a big soap bar 7 time milled
for $15 still with you for 2 month or more if you take a shower 2 times a day

I was in Marshalls store and I found Castelbel porto soap for $3.99 , this soap is from Portugal like Claus Porto and have the same size . The vintage rose aroma is great and is triple milled

Actually, Ivory soap is actual soap, not detergent. It is considered by most to be somewhat harsh. Lots of soaps are harsh on the skin. Any good cleaner will be. The trick is to find a soap which is harsh enough to clean, without irritating you too much. Then put on some lotion.

Ivory will make your eyes sting. I would, therefore, not recommend it as a face soap, even though it is pure soap. How dirty is your face anyway? I mean that most of us don't need much soap on the face. Frequent cleansing with a very mild product is my plan. If you want a very gentle product, consider using Noxema to clean your face.

I have been using Kirk's Castille for some time now and enjoy it thoroughly. Works great and doesn't dry my skin out. I usually spend about 99 cents per bar which isn't too bad.

Top Bottom