What's new

How long till I get that bbs str8 razor shave?

I've been using my dovo for about 10 days (6 days with a bad honing job; 4 with Lynn's expert touch). I am comfortable shaving my whole face both wtg & atg. Trouble is I need a 3rd pass w/a disposable to get what I left with the str8. Has anybodyhad this problem and seen it improve with more experience?

Rich

yes and yes. this isn't like DEs where you can pick it up and instantly get perfect shaves. I was lucky in that my first straight shave was my best shave ever, but after that stroke of beginner's luck it took some time before I could get back there consistently.

Rich -
First, congratulations on doing so well after 10 shaves!!!
I worked on my technique for 5 months before achieving a BBS shave. OK, some may call me slow... ahhh well...
Second, I would suggest adding one or two cross grain passes (in different directions) to your routine.
Finally, take it at your own speed. If doing the final pass with a disposable makes the shave, then go with it until you gain the skills to get to a comlete bbs shave with your straight.

It's the journey that is important in shaving and in life. If it were so easy to pick up a straight and shave perfectly on the first time, how many of us would be here. It's the learning and the challenge that intrigue us. Keep on learning for as long as you find it enjoyable...

It's strange, but in the past using a DE or multiblade I ALWAYS shaved ATG. Nice close shave but I started getting a few bumps etc where the hair had dived back into the follicle like a spavined rabbit. Not too good!

With a straight razor I never shave ATG, always with it. Now this may not result in a baby's bum shave, but I happen to have a man's face on the front of my bonce, not a baby's bum! Certainly testing in the direction of shave my face is as smooth as I could get with a DE or multi - and even ATG it's not at all bad, certainly not rough at all. Anyway, I like it! :c6:

If you read the old barbers manuals it will tell you that to become truly proficient with a straight takes between 6 months and a year. In my case it took me a month of everyday shaving before I was getting really decent shaves and just about 6 months to be really comfortable with the razor and get bbs shaves consistantly.

Oh no!! It took me 3mos. with a DE to get it right.

Is there a small learning curve when you pick up a different str8 than the one your used to?

Yes, very small though. If I move to a 6/8 or 4/8 it flips differently on the strop. Shaving itself isn't too different. I'd suspect if I moved to a 7/8 that shaving itself would change, but I don't own one.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Yeah, it takes a while to finish with the learning curve on a straight. But it does get better over time, so keep at it! It'll only get better.

Well, I have found one thing while learning...you actually do get a BBS shave, at least when you follow your first straight pass(es) with a Gillette Fatboy! :biggrin: The straight is taking some getting used to, but while it does leave some stubble, it sure mows stuff down so that the Fayboy just goes to town.

I just got started with a straight, and have only had the courage to do one pass. So I follow it up with my Fatboy. It really sets things up nice!

Practice makes perfect and it fits here. Even getting a razor from one of the Honemasters won't get you to BBS. You also will be perfecting your stropping skills along the way, which plays an important role in getting the close and comfortable shave we all loath for.

Glen

Dum Spiro Spero -- State motto of South Carolina (While I breathe, I hope.)

Home boy!! I am also a Palmetto Stater, born in the heart of the Confederacy. Getting a little better each day w/the str8.

Rich - An unreconstructed rebel!

“Be respectful to your superiors, if you have any” – Mark Twain

I unly get a truly BBS shave when I ddo four passes, no matter how sharp the razor is. Offcourse that takes a lot of time so often I only do 3 and sometimes only 2.

But I shave in 4 directions all over my face, even on the chin and the neck. It's a lot of work but the result is that the next dayit's not even worth icking up a razor again....there's simply nothing to mow down.

Reading the posts on this thread is very gratifying! I just started shaving with a str8 this weekend, after a lot of research and helpful input from the straight razor place. I've shaved twice now and don't have the best results; although haven't spilled blood yet! I'm glad to hear that most newbies go through this same experience.

G.

A lot depends on how good you are at stropping and keeping your razor's sharp.

I noticed a big improvement when I went to a 2.5 pass shave - the .5 is across the grain pass I do on my face, but not my neck.

The other big improvement on my neck is that I do my against the grain pass at about a 45 degree angle (except for my throat, where I go straight against the grain). This works well for me because the hair on my neck grows laterally.

I think that most people take about 3 - 6 months to really get the hang of straight shaving as there are a lot of moving parts that need to come together before you can get a BBS shave.

Top Bottom