What's new

leg shavers-- what's your set up?

I've been DE shaving for a month and I'm still working on technique. I ordered my FI a blade sampler and I'm probably going to filch a couple from him. :laugh: I'm not sure how much I should change up my method every time I shave (which is about once a week.)

my set up:
razor: Lady Gillette
blade: changes each time
brush: no brush, I use a nylon towel that gives me ok results
soap/cream: KMF but today I added a couple of drops of glycerin
lather method: start it up in my hands then leg lather, but this only works for the first one, obviously.

My shave was just ok. Legs are smooth but not as close as I used to get with the cartridge. had some tugging and noticed I had to keep checking my shaving angle.

advice and tips are welcome! :thumbup1:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Come on now Luc, you don't have to try and hide it! :w00t:

:lol::lol::lol:

Foine... I do shave me legs when I run out of space on my arms... I'm telling ya, testing straight razor is hard business :tongue_sm

:blushing: I ... Emmm... Have quite the shave den.
About 8 razors, 4 good straights, 2 shavettes, and a plethora of soaps, creams and blades.
My set up changes fairly often thought lately I'm starting to do a new set up each week.
I do one ATG pass and it'll give good results but if I take the time and do an XTG pass with a slight hook to it I get a much closer shave. Also I get much better results from a straight or shavette than I do a DE but again it takes longer.

Think about maybe getting a brush as it helps to lift the hairs up and work the lather in. Also are you showering before you shave? The hot water will prep and soften your hair.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
:blushing: I ... Emmm... Have quite the shave den.
About 8 razors, 4 good straights, 2 shavettes, and a plethora of soaps, creams and blades.
My set up changes fairly often thought lately I'm starting to do a new set up each week.
I do one ATG pass and it'll give good results but if I take the time and do an XTG pass with a slight hook to it I get a much closer shave. Also I get much better results from a straight or shavette than I do a DE but again it takes longer.

Think about maybe getting a brush as it helps to lift the hairs up and work the lather in. Also are you showering before you shave? The hot water will prep and soften your hair.

I think it's time that you post a picture of your gear! :tongue_sm

I have yet to get my own gear, but I was allowed to try out a friend's Merkur HD with a fresh Merkur Super Stainless blade. I took a long bath first and did two ATG passes. I nicked myself a little bit, but that was on the knees and due to excessive speeds. I should have known better.

I just used the Neutrogena men's sensitive skin cream I had in the shower, but I'm really eager to try out real lathering once I get my hands on some supplies. The shave was worlds better just trying out the DE, and I'm *so* glad to be able to ditch those $14-a-4-pack Venus million-blades cartridges.

Last edited:
I have a stick of Arko pressed into a washed-out deodorant container, an Omega boar brush and a Gillette Slim. I'm currently working my way through some Dorco ST-300 blades, but after that I'm planning on going back to Red Pack Israelis.

I usually soak a washcloth in hot water and give most of my legs a brief hot towel treatment while I soak the Arko. Then I lather up one leg and do an ATG pass + touch-up, then then other leg. I used to go WTG then ATG, when I first started out about a year ago, but I found that going ATG on the first pass was much faster and didn't seem to cause any extra irritation.

As far as aftershave goes, I just do a splash of generic witch hazel and then some vitamin E lotion. I believe I'm the rare example of saving money by switching to DE instead of being consumed by ADs! :lol:

Yep I always shower before I shave. Otherwise I can't be bothered to take off my pants just for a shave. :tongue_sm Actually this last shave I took a nice long bath before hand. Maybe that was overkill?

I use a scrub towel that's way scrubbier than my FI's boar brush to lather. plus I can press harder without worrying about exposing the breech. I haven't tried it, but maybe it's similar to the results of the shaving towel that Enchante sells?

looks like this one. (not my pic)

Although my shave with a badger brush was about the same as this one. a little bit of tugging towards the end of my shave, which is always my right thigh.
I have a stick of Arko pressed into a washed-out deodorant container, an Omega boar brush and a Gillette Slim. I'm currently working my way through some Dorco ST-300 blades, but after that I'm planning on going back to Red Pack Israelis.

Dorco is next on my list to try. Why are you switching?

I have yet to get my own gear, but I was allowed to try out a friend's Merkur HD with a fresh Merkur Super Stainless blade. I took a long bath first and did two ATG passes. I nicked myself a little bit, but that was on the knees and due to excessive speeds. I should have known better.

I just used the Nivea men's sensitive skin cream I had in the shower, but I'm really eager to try out real lathering once I get my hands on some supplies. The shave was worlds better just trying out the DE, and I'm *so* glad to be able to ditch those $14-a-4-pack Venus million-blades cartridges.

Welcome to the forum! I'm not a fan of the Venus. Expensive and the blades aren't sharp enough.

Last edited:

I just used the Neutrogena men's sensitive skin cream I had in the shower, but I'm really eager to try out real lathering once I get my hands on some supplies. The shave was worlds better just trying out the DE, and I'm *so* glad to be able to ditch those $14-a-4-pack Venus million-blades cartridges.

Welcome!

Yep I always shower before I shave. Otherwise I can't be bothered to take off my pants just for a shave. :tongue_sm Actually this last shave I took a nice long bath before hand. Maybe that was overkill?

I use a scrub towel that's way scrubbier than my FI's boar brush to lather. plus I can press harder without worrying about exposing the breech. I haven't tried it, but maybe it's similar to the results of the shaving towel that Enchante sells?

looks like this one. (not my pic)

Although my shave with a badger brush was about the same as this one. a little bit of tugging towards the end of my shave, which is always my right thigh.

Dorco is next on my list to try. Why are you switching?

Welcome to the forum! I'm not a fan of the Venus. Expensive and the blades aren't sharp enough.
This may be a silly question, but are you lathering all at once or doing it in sections as you go? Letting the lather get a little dry on your skin will cause problems. And does your lather maybe seem a bit dry or too wet? That could also cause some of that tugging feeling.

"Location: NYC"

hrmmmmm that's where I am. Why don't you come over so I can give you some...uh...tips yeah that it! Tips hehehee

:tongue_sm:em2200::em2100::a37:

Errr anyway, there shouldn't be any pulling. I would lather in sections, let it soak in, then shave. Keep trying out different blades till you've tried them all. The solution might just be another blade away!

I think it's time that you post a picture of your gear! :tongue_sm
I did a while ago in the Post Your Shave Dens thread but since getting a rake of new stuff from the Summer Sizzler I've yet to take an updated picture.

Back to the OP though... There should be no drag and as other people mentioned make sure your lather isn't drying out.

ok thanks for all the tips. I'm still curious to know what other women use to shave. I'm waiting to join the women's group but I don't have the membership qualifications. I'll give a different brand a try. should I try dampening my lather mid shave? I do it in sections, usually shins then thighs. typically takes me 20 minutes.

I don't have the qualifications either, and I'm super excited you started this post!!! I am still shaving with cartridges, although I am using the new Pro-Glide and am LOVING IT...I mean normally I just go at it with the cartridges and water...blasphemy, I know....:wink2:

However, I must say that I DO have an AoS brush and shaving cream that I use when I'm not in a hurry and that actually gives me a smoother shave. Not necessarily a CLOSER shave, but smoother never the less.

I really want to start using a DE. I'm a bit of a pansy, but looking at what BarberElie has done I say why can't I do it too!!!:thumbup1: You go Girl!

Anyway, enough of my rant...I think pictures of "Shave Dens" are a must...for us lowly ones who aren't in the womens' forum...we'll get there but we need all the help we can get, right!?:blink:

See you all on the DE side....

Hi there! I'm new to wetshaving and B&B too and also still shy of the qualifications to join the women's group. This thread is great!

Prep: Sitting in the tub with the showerhead and running warm/hot water on my legs for a few minutes.
Brush: Cheap VDH boar brush, thinking about upgrading.
Soap/Cream: Mostly CO Bigelow atm (Thanks Janna!) but waiting on some Mama Bear samples.
Razor: Gilette Ball End Tech - not a single nick yet, no matter how fast or careless I am!
Blades: Still hunting. So far I've enjoyed the Personnas, Wilkinson Swords, Derby and Feathers.
Post: A little almond oil, a shower and then Cetaphil cream. Cetaphil is like magic.

I might be a little weird, but I prefer showering after I shave. I like washing away all the soap/cream and hair. :blush:

As for tugging/not getting close enough, my first guess would be the angle or the blade or both. I think finding the right blade is going to take me a while. :001_tongu

If your skin is tugging just on your thigh and not on your calf then it's most likely because the skin is not taut enough.
Also try lathering each leg in four or more sections (front of calf, back of calf, front of thigh, back of thigh).

Last edited:
ok thanks for all the tips. I'm still curious to know what other women use to shave. I'm waiting to join the women's group but I don't have the membership qualifications. I'll give a different brand a try. should I try dampening my lather mid shave? I do it in sections, usually shins then thighs. typically takes me 20 minutes.

If your skin is tugging just on your tight and not on your calf then it's most likely because the skin is not taut enough.
Also try lathering each leg in four or more sections (front of calf, back of calf, front of thigh, back of thigh).

Barber-Eile is a smart one. :001_smile

You certainly could break it up into four or more sections. And yes, you can add a few drops of water at a time and give your lather a little stir to redampen.

To answer one of your other questions, for me personally at the moment, I am using:
Lady Gillette razor
Merkur blades (sometimes Feathers or :blushing: what's closest)
Badger brush
TOBS avocado shaving cream

And to all our wonderful women who are still shy of joining the group:

Keep it up! You'll get there! We're not going anywhere. :laugh:

Top Bottom