What's new

Gem 1912 vs Gem 1912 Damaskeen?

On all of the Damaskeene's I have , or have had, the door that flips open is slightly rounded. I have seen pictures of ones that the door is flat like on the standard 1912. It also says "Use only GEM Damaskeene blades" on the area the blade sets on. That's how they got their name.

I am convinced that the slightly rounded head makes the shave a tad bit better.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
On all of the Damaskeene's I have , or have had, the door that flips open is slightly rounded. I have seen pictures of ones that the door is flat like on the standard 1912. It also says "Use only GEM Damaskeene blades" on the area the blade sets on. That's how they got their name.

+1 Tom's experience is the same as mine, as far as the shaving goes, but mine all have some curve to the doors. The Damaskeene is a subset of the 1912's I think, in the photo of 3 with the 1912 patent, only the razor on the right has the Damaskeene inscription,

Thanks for the great photos...and the information.

I guess I'm in the market for a Damaskeene... even though the regular 1912 sounds as if it shaves like a champ anyway!

I love my G-bar, so I'm anxious to give one of these older models a try. Amazing that shaving technology from 100 yrs ago still provides superior results...

+1, I love my Damaskeene.

View attachment 124107

I have mine adapted to fit Cooncatbob handles.

By the way, there was a decent Damaskeene on eBay last week and No one bid on it.
Would have gone for $5.00

John

"I guess I'm in the market for a Damaskeene... even though the regular 1912 sounds as if it shaves like a champ anyway!

I love my G-bar, so I'm anxious to give one of these older models a try. Amazing that shaving technology from 100 yrs ago still provides superior results..."

I started out with a G-Bar and liked it so much that I had to get 1912. I liked the 1912 even better than the G-Bar. . . . . The 1912 is my favorite of all razors, it simply doesn't get any better.

DD

Damaskeene was a blade manufactured for Gem razors,not a razor as such.:001_smile 1912 Gems all have very similar head configurations with only subtle differences,if you discount the older open comb version.

Damaskeene was a blade manufactured for Gem razors,not a razor as such.:001_smile 1912 Gems all have very similar head configurations with only subtle differences,if you discount the older open comb version.
mmm, GEM Deluxe :thumbup1:
Dave Deluxe should get one :w00t:

+1 Tom's experience is the same as mine, as far as the shaving goes, but mine all have some curve to the doors. The Damaskeene is a subset of the 1912's I think, in the photo of 3 with the 1912 patent, only the razor on the right has the Damaskeene inscription,
attachment.php

The rightmost one is a lather catcher, am I correct?

+1, I love my Damaskeene.

attachment.php

I have mine adapted to fit Cooncatbob handles.

By the way, there was a decent Damaskeene on eBay last week and No one bid on it.
Would have gone for $5.00

John

Hi,
Extra handle looks like a stropping attachment. Which razor does it belong to?

Last edited:
No, none of them is a lather catcher, they are all '1912' pictured.
Left is standard style made for 30+ years and the most common, middle is compact travel type, right is the 'damaskeene' 1912, one of the earlier types of 1912.
edit:
If you want to see lather catchers, look up robert paulsens old posts as he has them all :001_tt1: .
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showpost.php?p=1477048&postcount=11

No, he does not have Ever-ready and Kampfe lather catchers :001_smile

The space on the lather catchers is a lot more dramatic then on the 1912, the heads above are all 1912. The 1912 also has a lid on tip that covers the blade, the Lather catchers don't.

Happy to say that I picked up a 1912 Damaskeene on ebay. It looks to be in very nice condition...it has a cross hatch handle rather than the chain design, with little plating loss that I could see. I got it for $15, which looks to be within the price range for this razor.

Can't wait to give it a whirl!

Top Bottom