What's new

Why do we hide our SE razors?

Just tried my first SE razor (a Gem Micromatic) and I absolutely love it. I got one of my best shaves ever with my first try. Took me two strokes to figure out I had to shave with it differently than my DEs, but after that it was great. Made me think I was shaving with a straight edge, almost, but it was a lot easier. The ATG pass wasn't bad either. Ended up with a BBS and probably the 2nd best shave I've ever had.

Now that being said, I'm wondering why I don't see more talk about SE razors on B&B. They seem to be like the red-readed step children here. We keep them hidden in the closet, and they are fun to take out and play with, but we don't like to admit we have one. The DEs get all the glory. Why is that? I have read a few posts recently where people said an SE was their daily razor, and that piqued my interest. Now I understand why they said that. I would have no problems using my Micromatic every day. I just bought a couple 1912s that I need to clean up and I can't wait to try them out too.

Are we trying to keep the wonders of the SE a secret from the mainstream?

Maybe because there's a reverse sense of snobbery in keeping good things secret. You appreciate them all the more because they are like a hidden gem (no pun intended), appreciated only by the enlightened few:thumbup1:

well you do see plenty of threads about SEs here... but i think one factor that keeps them from being nearly as popular as DE is the fact that blade selection is a bit more limited from what i've seen plus the cheapest SE blades i've seen are about twice the price of the cheapest DE blades i've seen

I've wondered about that myself, because it took me a while to find a DE razor/blade combo that could shave nearly as effectively as my G-Bar with cheap CVS blades.

Here's what I think is happening: you buy an SE razor (any type, doesn't really matter too much which one you buy), you go to the drugstore and get some blades (again, as long as you get blades meant for shaving, it doesn't matter too much which ones you get), and you get a great shave. That's usually about all there is to it, which isn't very exciting for those who like to collect razors and blades and to constantly tweak their shaving routine.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Most guys who shave with those snow shovels have already lopped off their noses.
This makes it extremely difficult to wear a pair of reading glasses, and because of that, finding the right keys on the keyboard is nearly impossible.
Thus, not many posts from SE guys.

I think it's been touched on above, but there is a smaller selection of both razors and blades available, but if you count in the Injectors with the GEM style there is still quite a number to choose from.
Perhaps the big time SE guys just don't suffer from the wild RAD that seems to affect DE guys.

Or straight razor guys for that matter.

I love my SEs!

I have seen a lot more on here lately about SEs. Although that could just be b/c I got one and tried it. Kinda like how you never notice a particular car and then you get one and they are everywhere...

There is a lot more to talk about with DEs though. 50 different razors, 100 different blades, open comb/safety bar, 3 piece, 2 piece, TTO.

A 1941 Gem Micromatic Clog Pruf is what started my vintage razor pursuit. The lack of a decent single edge blade available locally is what lead me to Badger and Blade. Since most of the talk here is about DE shaving that is the direction I moved.

Interesting that you guys mention even a box cutter blade providing a good shave in a SE. I didn't find that to be the case at all but perhaps with my DE experience I should break out the drugstore SE blades and give my Gem another go. Failing that some kind folks here showed me I could get Personna SE blades directly from the source for a decent price.

Once I finish rotating through all my flea market DE finds I'll give it a go.

A 1941 Gem Micromatic Clog Pruf is what started my vintage razor pursuit. The lack of a decent single edge blade available locally is what lead me to Badger and Blade. Since most of the talk here is about DE shaving that is the direction I moved.

Interesting that you guys mention even a box cutter blade providing a good shave in a SE. I didn't find that to be the case at all but perhaps with my DE experience I should break out the drugstore SE blades and give my Gem another go. Failing that some kind folks here showed me I could get Personna SE blades directly from the source for a decent price.

Once I finish rotating through all my flea market DE finds I'll give it a go.
Actually, you have to buy the SE blades meant for shaving; they're sold alongside the other shaving supplies. The box cutter blades from the hardware store or the housewares aisle will tear your face up in a hurry.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
SE’s, both GEM style & Injectors, give great shaves. But, somehow they are indeed the Red Headed Stepchildren of the wet shaving world .. I think there are a couple of reasons ..

• The GEM Style SE requires some adjustment to technique, thus some first timers are turned off too soon as it isn’t like their DE
  • GEMs, Stars, EverReady’s et al are not expensive to procure, there are some who take that to mean they aren’t worth as much
  • As Amish points out, there are fewer blade choices. There are plenty, and unlike DE’s you can get good ones at the corner drugstore (at least SE’s)
  • Enemies of Gemocracy continue to spread the whispers that one is less than two!
  • And finally, I agree with Phil's point, though not the one about the snow shovel, there may be less SE's about but still plenty if you want to collect

Personally I have not used a DE in many , Many, MANY months. Gems, Injectors, and straights are what I reach for.... too many SE's and not enough time

Another point is there aren't any new SEs(that I know of). Some people do not like vintage stuff and only use their new razors.

Actually, you have to buy the SE blades meant for shaving; they're sold alongside the other shaving supplies. The box cutter blades from the hardware store or the housewares aisle will tear your face up in a hurry.

The blades I got were from my pharmacy in the shaving section. They are terrible though. I should have known when the pharmacist says he uses them in his boxcutters! I believe he thought that was what I was buying them for.

They carry DE blades as well but after my experience with the SE blades I'm sticking to Personnas. I like giving my money to a small neighborhood pharmacy but not at the expense of my face!

I later asked him about getting Personna medical prep DE blades for me and he couldn't find them through is primary or secondary supplier. He did mention some tungsten Personnas though. I found that odd but wasn't sure what it was. If it is slow next time I'm in there I'm going to see if he can get more information.

yOu relaly got to Be craeful witj teh danm Se"s oR youll cuy of yore noes adn tpying is raelly touhg wehnyoure galsses keeep faling of.

Aw hekc I quit1111

There can be a tendency to take pride in appreciating things that are not appreciated by other people. That can lead to exaggerating how "underrated" these things really are.

The great majority of posts I see around here on SE and injector razors are very positive. I think there's a great deal of appreciation for them, it's just that these posts can sink to the bottom rapidly, with all the discussion about slants, Super-Speeds, Progresses, and what-not.

I think we need to be quiet about SE razors, for the safety of the shaving public. They cause razor burn, are dangerous and give a terrible shave. If your not carefull you'll cut your nose or your ear off. They cause pimples and will shave off the top of any existing pimple or wart. If you use one for more then one day in a row your face will be hamburger. The doctor bills will be costly. It's a good thing the good blades are expensive, otherwise there would be more injuries. Keep them away from the children.

They should be used only by brave, experienced shavers of unsullied reputation and character. I think being a character, (whoops, I meant just, "having character") is the most important asset when shaving with a SE.

It's my solemn duty to buy up all of the 1912 SE's to protect the general public. I only have nine of them, so I have along way to go. If we keep talking about them it's going to cost me a fortune to protect the general public. SE shavers, do your duty don't talk about them any more.

Last edited:
Yes please keep quiet. I haven't completed my Gem collection yet, and I don't want any positive publicity out there driving prices up.

"well you do see plenty of threads about SEs here... but i think one factor that keeps them from being nearly as popular as DE is the fact that blade selection is a bit more limited from what i've seen plus the cheapest SE blades i've seen are about twice the price of the cheapest DE blades i've seen"

Yes, but they about twice as long.

"Here's what I think is happening: you buy an SE razor (any type, doesn't really matter too much which one you buy), you go to the drugstore and get some blades (again, as long as you get blades meant for shaving, it doesn't matter too much which ones you get), and you get a great shave. That's usually about all there is to it, which isn't very exciting for those who like to collect razors and blades and to constantly tweak their shaving routine."

I think there is a lot of truth here, there are no endless sampler packs of blades to tweak and find just the right combination. So for a hobbist it may not be involving enough, despite the fact that they out shave most DE razors.

DD

Top Bottom