What's new

My Bay Rum experiment

OK, so I've tried a couple Bay Rum's: Pinaud and Masters. Wasn't overly pleased with either.

Pinaud's set my face on fire and stunk of cloves. The clovey smell seemed to overpower the other scents there. I got more used to it with repeated use, but it wasn't a favorite.

Master's was very sweet and due to the level of glycerin in it, it was also heavy and sticky.

So one day I was thinking about these two and what each of their shortcomings were and it struck me that If I mixed the two, they might balance each other out. So I tried it, and roughly mixed them 50/50. What I ended up with was a pure delight. A perfect union of the two and a great leveling effect. I have no other experience with other brands, so I have nothing to compare, but this is what I expected a bay rum to be. I love it!

Last edited:
oh... what a great idea.

now I'm gonna have to try this!

and - wait a minute... it's coming to me.... I'm visioning...

.... I can see it - Imagine if you will - a potent and lovely mixture of Master & Pinaud - Lilac Vegetol with Lilac Vegetal................

...where will the madness end?

I got a bottle of Pinaud Bay Rum the other day at Walgreen's when I was in the big city. Slapped some on yesterday. My first reaction was that the stuff smelled awful. Then when my lady got a whiff of it.... she wrinkled up her nose and shook her head negative, and said, "No." :thumbdown

I probably be selling this stuff.

Master Well Comb AS. It's the real deal, not synthetic. And women love it. Here in north Texas every Sallys store has it. Does any know of a retailer in north Texas that stocks Superior 70 bay rum?

yes...the superior 70 bay rum from puerto rico is cheap , $2.49 at SOME walgreens,but it is never in the shaving section,usually in the "ethnic" section..very clean and natural scent...a best buy

Gents,

The only commercial bay rum that has ever impressed me is St. Johns Bay Rum. One whiff, and you know it's something really high-class. I've loved it since I was in high school (nearly fifty years ago), but I never bought a bottle. Then, as now, the stuff is outrageously expensive!

Well, here's a viable option. You can make fine bay rum yourself! - I've done it. Here is the basic recipe:

One 16 oz glass jar (or larger) with screw-on lid;
One 8 oz cup witch hazel;
One cup crushed bay leaves (fresh is better, but dried will work);
1 oz ground allspice;
1.5 oz whole cloves;
Two or three whole cinnamon sticks;
4 oz Meyers's Dark Rum
Four 50 ml (1.7 oz) miniature bottles of gin;
One small bottle orange extract;
One small bottle oil of clove;
One small bottle oil of lavender;
One ladies hose stocking (filter)
One large glass measuring cup (16 oz, or more)

In the glass jar, place the witch hazel, crushed bay leaves, ground allspice, whole cloves and cinnamon sticks. Mix well, making sure the witch hazel covers the other ingredients. Cover the jar tightly, and store in a dark place for two weeks. Shake the mixture every three or four days.

After two weeks, cover the top of the measuring cup with the stocking filter. Don't pull the filter too tightly. Next, carefully pour the mixture through the filter, and discard the dregs. Add the Meyers's Dark Rum, gin, and orange extract. Stir well and test on skin. Add 5 - 10 drops oil of clove and test again. Lastly, add just a few drops oil of lavender (odd as it seems, this last ingredient brings all the others into harmony, while remaining hidden itself). Carefully adjust the fragrance as you see fit.

Lastly, use the measuring cup to pour your bay rum into suitable glass vials (including the now empty miniature gin bottles). You'll have plenty for yourself, and quite a lot to give as gifts.

Once you've splashed a few drops on your face, run your hands through your hair. - That's just what they used to do in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, when bay rum was at the height of its popularity.

Cheers,
Phil

OK, so I've tried a couple Bay Rum's: Pinaud and Masters. Wasn't overly pleased with either.

Pinaud's set my face on fire and stunk of cloves. The clovey smell seemed to overpower the other scents there. I got more used to it with repeated use, but it wasn't a favorite.

Master's was very sweet and due to the level of glycerin in it, it was also heavy and sticky.

So one day I was thinking about these two and what each of their shortcomings were and it struck me that If I mixed the two, they might balance each other out. So I tried it, and roughly mixed them 50/50. What I ended up with was a pure delight. A perfect union of the two and a great leveling effect. I have no other experience with other brands, so I have nothing to compare, but this is what I expected a bay rum to be. I love it!

Last edited:
oh... what a great idea.

.... I can see it - Imagine if you will - a potent and lovely mixture of Master & Pinaud - Lilac Vegetol with Lilac Vegetal................

Why do I have the feeling that this will not end well?:blink:

marty

Gents,

The only commercial bay rum that has ever impressed me is St. Johns Bay Rum. One whiff, and you know it's something really high-class. I've loved it since I was in high school (nearly fifty years ago), but I never bought a bottle. Then, as now, the stuff is outrageously expensive!

Well, here's a viable option. You can make fine bay rum yourself! - I've done it. Here is the basic recipe:

One 16 oz glass jar (or larger) with screw-on lid;
One 8 oz cup witch hazel;
One cup crushed bay leaves (fresh is better, but dried will work);
1 oz ground allspice;
1.5 oz whole cloves;
Two or three whole cinnamon sticks;
4 oz Meyers's Dark Rum
One small bottle orange extract;
One small bottle oil of clove;
One small bottle oil of lavender;
One ladies hose stocking (filter)
One large glass measuring cup (16 oz, or more)

In the glass jar, place the witch hazel, crushed bay leaves, ground allspice, whole cloves and cinnamon sticks. Mix well, making sure the witch hazel covers the other ingredients. Cover the jar tightly, and store in a dark place for two weeks. Shake the mixture every three or four days.

After two weeks, cover the top of the measuring cup with the stocking filter. Don't pull the filter too tightly. Next, carefully pour the mixture through the filter, and discard the dregs. Add the Meyers's Dark Rum, and orange extract. Stir well and test on skin. Add 5 - 10 drops oil of clove and test again. Lastly, add just a few drops oil of lavender (odd as it seems, this last ingredient brings all the others into harmony, while remaining hidden itself). Carefully adjust the fragrance as you see fit.

Lastly, use the measuring cup to pour your bay rum into suitable glass vials. You'll have plenty for yourself, and quite a lot to give as gifts.

Once you've splashed a few drops on your face, run your hands through your hair. - That's just what they used to do in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, when bay rum was at the height of its popularity.

Cheers,
Phil

:w00t::w00t:
That sounds like an great recipe!
I will have to save this and try it out when I get the chance!
:thumbup1::thumbup1:

WhoRu -

Thanks for your reply. Yesterday, I forgot a most important ingredient: Four 50 ml (1.7 oz) bottles of gin! The recipe is amended now. - My apologies! :blush:

I poured most of my extra bay rum into those four miniature gin bottles and gave them to family. Everyone loved them!

Best wishes,
Phil

Last edited:
oh... what a great idea.

+1, thanks!

Top Bottom