What's new

Lather quality 2nd and 3rd pass

I know there are other threads about this. I have read several of them. Still need an extra bit of advice, however.

I get a super duper lathery treat for my first pass. Face lather with MWF or TABAC. After my "first pass rinse" the application of lather for my second pass is quite a bit thinner. Is this due to the extra water on my face? Should I let more of it "drip off"?

Furthermore, when applying lather for subsequent passes, should I simply be "painting it on" or going through the whole "face lather" routine of splaying the bristles a bit like you do for the buildup of your initial lather for the first pass?

Thanks!
-Crisp :thumbup:

I'm no expert, but what I do is go through the whole work-it-into-your-face routine the second and subsequent passes (though, if you're face lathering, it won't be nearly as much as the first one where you actually create the lather), and then use a few painting strokes to even things out. If you're having thin second and third lathers, you're probably having a bad case of dry breech--what brush are you using? You should probably load your brush longer, lather longer, and try upside-down loading...that's what seems to be working for me so far.

I just do some extra swirling in my bowl + on my face, then paint it on. No problem for me!

Maybe you have a tiny bit too much water in the initial lather? And I dont wash off my lather on my face. If you wash your lather off your face it might be too much water on your face, and that makes your lather thinner.

I'm going to go with the water on your face.. Creams / soaps are pretty sensitive to water amounts, If your initial later is getting close to too much water, then the water on your face'll cause it. I usually dont' rinse betwen lathers, but if I do I"ll add a tiny bit more soap / cream to the brush to even it out.

Understood. I believe I will keep rinsing my face off after each pass, but simply hit the puck a couple swirls before reapplication.

And I will go through the whole buildup routine again. It is fun anyways.

-Crisp

Understood. I believe I will keep rinsing my face off after each pass, but simply hit the puck a couple swirls before reapplication.

And I will go through the whole buildup routine again. It is fun anyways.

-Crisp

I lather with MWF and Tabac all the time (my two favorite soaps), and I always rinse between passes, and I've never run into this issue. YMMV, of course, but I doubt it's water on the face. Next time you're going for a second pass, gently open up the brush and see if there's soap down at the bottom...if not, that's your problem right there.

I lather with MWF and Tabac all the time (my two favorite soaps), and I always rinse between passes, and I've never run into this issue. YMMV, of course, but I doubt it's water on the face. Next time you're going for a second pass, gently open up the brush and see if there's soap down at the bottom...if not, that's your problem right there.

There never is. It seems the brush "gives it all up" during the first pass. How do I convince her to save some for later??

-Crisp:001_cool:

This was my problem when I started. The first pass ok and then thinner and thinner for the second and third pass. The next day I tried to load more soap to the brush, sometimes the same and sometimes better.

The key is never to accept a too thin latter. If the second or third pass are on the thin side, go back to the puck!!

Your lather should be the same quality and quantity for each pass.

Adequately loading the brush is key, do not be stingy with your product, they will make more!

:lol:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
+1 if it works for you.

I don't reload between passes and I don't rinse either.

There never is. It seems the brush "gives it all up" during the first pass. How do I convince her to save some for later??

-Crisp:001_cool:

This is something I'm dealing with myself--load longer & lather longer. You may or may not need more water. Also, have you tried upside-down lathering? I find it helps a lot when my brush keeps having a dry breech.

[YOUTUBE]ZSUNBY9zHUw[/YOUTUBE]

Top Bottom