What's new

LOVE DE shaving, but store GEL works better, Can I find one that smells like Omega?

I used to use my grandfather's old Gillette from the 70's back in the 80's... since 1990 DE shaving disappeared from my life. Until about 2 months ago or so.

I got a Edwin Jagger chrome DE razor, some Omega soap, a bunch of different blade samples and a badger brush!! WOW it's heaven....well...almost

My problem is that I actually get better results... perfect results using regular store gels!!! :blink:

The problem is that I LOVE the way the Omega soap smells, like that old style barber shop cream. On the label of the Omega tube it states the smell is Eucalyptus Menthol... or maybe the other way around :) either way... my question to you guys:

Is there a gel out there that gives you that old barber shop shaving cream smell? The Omega smell is great, but I get much better performance from my blades and zero irratation with the gel but I hate those stupid smells. So any info will be greatly appreciated... and I am now a DE shaver for life :thumbup:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Welcome to B&B!

Omega is an excellent soap and provides very nice lather. I would practice making lather with it until you get a nice product that you like. Have a look at the tutorials: http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/index.php/Lathers

When you mentions that your lather is not as good, how is Omega worse than the canned gel?

Welcome to B&B!

Omega is an excellent soap and provides very nice lather. I would practice making lather with it until you get a nice product that you like. Have a look at the tutorials: http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/index.php/Lathers

When you mentions that your lather is not as good, how is Omega worse than the canned gel?

Well, I do use the soap in pretty much the manner described in the link, except I don't soak the bowl. I get a nice rich foam. But the canned stuff is waaaay smoother! it's like the blade glides effortlessly. The soap seems to cause to much friction. Even after wetting my face, using in a steaming bathroom and after leaving soap on face a few minutes. I tried all that but the gels, I just put it straight on face, it lathers, I shave and done! With my blades getting better performance and my face having zero irritation.

So I wanna keep trying the gel, but I love that menthol eucalyptus smell. Any Ideas?

Luc

Staff member
Well, I do use the soap in pretty much the manner described in the link, except I don't soak the bowl. I get a nice rich foam. But the canned stuff is waaaay smoother! it's like the blade glides effortlessly. The soap seems to cause to much friction. Even after wetting my face, using in a steaming bathroom and after leaving soap on face a few minutes. I tried all that but the gels, I just put it straight on face, it lathers, I shave and done! With my blades getting better performance and my face having zero irritation.

So I wanna keep trying the gel, but I love that menthol eucalyptus smell. Any Ideas?

You probably need more water to your mix if it's not sliding... You are looking for a yogurt consistency...

However, if you want to keep gels, that's all right too.

If you want a lather that glides try uberlather! http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=156022&highlight=uberlather

Right now I am using Mama Bear's unscented or MWF and add to it either Godrej, Proraso, TOBS, Gillette or some other cream and add a few drops of glycerin. Since using uberlather I am getting the best lather and the smoothest shaves.

There are some out there who think this is a waste of product but I need only a pea size amount of cream that when added to the soap give incredible results.

Well, I do use the soap in pretty much the manner described in the link, except I don't soak the bowl. I get a nice rich foam. But the canned stuff is waaaay smoother! it's like the blade glides effortlessly. The soap seems to cause to much friction.
TBH, if this the case, your lather probably sucks. And leaving it on your face for a few minutes will degrade it further.

If you're getting foam (and not just using the wrong word), or anything airy or uber-meringuey, you haven't got a good lather.

I just can't use canned stuff anymore, it's like putty in comparison.

well thanks guys..... I will keep trying the Omega... And I will just keep trying different combos of water and soap... IF after 2 tubes.... I cant get it right... then I will try the canned version of Prorasso.

Welcome to the good ship B&B. Take a stroll on the promenade deck and enjoy the voyage. :thumbup1:

Always remember, relax but be vigilant when you shave!

Welcome aboard!

I have used the canned version of the Proraso and it's actually not as bad as what you would think... Of course it's nothing compared to lathering up a soap though!

I'd say if you can get a good lather, but it's still not slick enough for you, just try adding some glycerin. That's pretty much all they use in the canned goo to get a slick shave.

Luc

Staff member
well thanks guys..... I will keep trying the Omega... And I will just keep trying different combos of water and soap... IF after 2 tubes.... I cant get it right... then I will try the canned version of Prorasso.

Do a few bowls of lather before your next shave so you won't be rush to shave. Please post the results with pictures if you can.

Top Bottom