What's new

Found a Rolls blade, found this place

Howdy,
Name is Allen. Location is Portland, OR.
Pretty simple.

I have been on an absolute hunt for a Oregon shaped belt buckle that has gotten me no where. Part of that hunt brings me into numerous antique stores.

Well, I literally stumbled on a Rolls Razor without a handle in really good condition... Or so I thought. Until I googled it, I read this site for a few hours before I signed up.

Today, I went searching for my belt buckle again and a handle for my Rolls.
I came up with a nearly new, in box, with instructions Rolls Razor.

I had wanted to get started shaving with anything but a disposable for some time now. So I am here now and willing to hear pro-tips.

full

full

full

full

Last edited by a moderator:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Welcome to B&B!

I never used a Roll Razor but nice find!

from what i've read about the rolls razor

1. don't use the hone it comes with
2. have it honed by someone who know what they are doing
3. don't use the hone it comes with
4. it is basically a "straight on a stick" so things one would do when using a straight (like skin stretching) apply here

I use the inbuilt hone and find it to do the job just fine. It's the strop I have trouble with.

Nice looking razor there. Check out the Wiki page for some excellent info on the Rolls.

Happy shaving, hold on to your wallet, and welcome to B&B!

I did hone mine up with the stones i have for my straights, found it quicker than the inbuilt hone, though the inbuilt hone is fine for touch ups, i have used mine, but in all honesty not enough to really get to know how to use it that well, so my shaves were not that close, though i am thinking of pulling it out and having another go with it, loads of info on here about this razor, including how to get it sharp, hope it works for you:thumbup1:

I use the inbuilt hone and find it to do the job just fine. It's the strop I have trouble with.

Nice looking razor there. Check out the Wiki page for some excellent info on the Rolls.

Happy shaving, hold on to your wallet, and welcome to B&B!

The Rolls hone will work, but it requires patience. As for the strop, the best thing is to make a new one out of good leather. Be sure it matches the original in thickness and overall length. If you want to use the original strop, at least get rid of that awful rubberized cloth strip they used for a backing (before it turns to a sticky glop, if it hasn't already). Replace it with an overall backing of high-density foam (available in office supply and hobby stores). Once again, make sure the overall thickness matches the original.

Rolls Razors...just like antique auto maintenance! :lol:

Cheers,
Phil

THanks for the welcomes.
I will be using the hone in the case and the strop when I get it reconditioned or replaced.
I have read all about the razor on this site and it has been very helpful.
Mainly I want to keep this thing for the rest of my life.
I also have a spare razor without a handle, the blade is almost perfect. would the best be to find an awful condition rolls with its handle still in tact or hunt down just the spare handle?

Look for both, but you'll probably spend less on a full set. Find one in terrible condition and my bet is that the handle will still be serviceable. Just beware of too much rust. If it's not the two-part handle, then rust will prevent it from working. If it is the two part handle, rust might have fused it together.

Howdy,
Name is Allen. Location is Portland, OR.
Pretty simple.

I have been on an absolute hunt for a Oregon shaped belt buckle that has gotten me no where. Part of that hunt brings me into numerous antique stores.

Well, I literally stumbled on a Rolls Razor without a handle in really good condition... Or so I thought. Until I googled it, I read this site for a few hours before I signed up.

Well I don't know much about the Rolls Razor, but here is an Oregon shaped belt buckle.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Siskiyou-Oregon...?pt=US_Men_s_Belt_Buckles&hash=item3f0346f8b2

Better hurry only 21 hrs left.

Top Bottom