What's new

Cleaning/Sanitizing a DE

TAsunder said:
What was your technique? Hopefully not boiling for 15 minutes. That's a good 30 minutes right there if you include waiting for the water to boil.

I'd consider sanitizing if it was easy and took < 1 minute.
Yes you can TASunder ...

buy yourself a steam pinguine or clones or machines that will do it in 1 minute.

I thought those portable steam machines were junk? I do have a hot pot on the way, can i just dump the razor in it while it boils?

The method I used was to nuke a coffee cup of water til it just boiled (2 minutes-ish), stick the razor in to soak, carry the cup to the bathroom, and hit the shower. Come out of the shower, take the HOT razor out with a towel, and start shaving. I suppose pitching it in the hot pot as it boiled would work too, though as a deeper vessel it'd be tougher to fish the razor out for use.

-Rich

One thing to keep in mind when nuking water, if your water's particularly pristine, and there aren't any nucleation sites in the cup, it can superheat, and agitating it will cause it to violently errupt. When nuking just water, it's smart to leave something in the cup like a wooden stir stick or a skewer.

-Nick

Nick brings up a good point about adding something to the water after nuking to avoid agitation. We use boiling stones in the laboratory to keep nasty solutions that we don't want to boil over when heating them to high temperatures.

Don't overcomplicate cleaning or risk damage with boiling. Scrubbing Bubbles is a safe and effective method of cleaning and disinfecting your razor. It kills 99.9% of bacteria and viruses.
After all, if it can remove those stuborn skidmarks outta your bowl and make it good for the dsog to drink from, it'll clean up your germy razor.

Top Bottom