What's new

Best Shaving Safety Razor...

So here goes this can of worms...:lol:

I have learned from experience that I really like my shave from my Gillette Gold Aristocrat loaded with a Gillette Black or a Iridium Super. However, I love the shave I get from my Gillette Fatboy loaded with either of the same blades set on 3-5.

With that being said; I have shaved with all of the old British Gillette's, and a majority of the American Gillette's. I get my best shave from the American Aristocrat and the Fatboy, but I haven't found the razor that gives me the "oh my goodness, this is the razor for me" shave. What does anyone suggest for my situation?

Thanks for the advice,

Justin

I get my most comfortable shaves from my Gem Jr. Have you ever tried an SE? I still use and enjoy all of my vintage Gillette's, but when I just want an easy comfortable shave I pull out my Gem Jr.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I haven't found the razor that gives me the "oh my goodness, this is the razor for me" shave. What does anyone suggest for my situation?

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Seriously, with all the different preferences around here, there's no way for somebody else to answer your question. My own can't fail razors include the Gem 1912 and several different models of injector, but you might not like them, you'd just have to try. Even if you do like them, you might not get the "this is it" feeling that you're looking for. And then, you might not get that feeling on the first try, it might take a week or two weeks to learn the peculiarities of that one razor.

Last edited:
Sorry if my opinion is out of place here 'cause I've only tried one Brit Gillette so far, the Aristocrat Junior (flat baseplate). But I'd say my Merkur 23C Classic Long Handle can provide a shave that is equally good - if not better because of the longer handle, lower weight (or just different balance), better maneuverability and perhaps a more forgiving blade angle.

Maybe because the 23C is often reffered to as a great "beginner" razor I have a feeling it is perhaps overlooked by some seasoned shavers (or is it?) despite its fantastic price-performance ratio.

edit: I definitely like my Aristo Jr. more in the looks and finish department. Shaving with it feels more luxurious - the quality of workmanship is astounding. And it's a 61 old razor! I feel the Merkur has "conveyor belt written all over it."

Last edited:
I think you need to try a Slant Bar razor, or an Open Comb from Merkur or Muhle Pinsel, and maybe even a Futur.

Have you gone above a 5 on that Fat Boy?

No 7 on my fatboy with a derby is a nice comfortable shave but if i want a MOTHER OF ALL DE SHAVES i use my 39c slant with the obligatory feather.BTW i pretty much use MWF for every shave these days.

The bakelite handled Schick injectors from the 30s-40s are the best shaving safety razors ever made, imo. The only thing that comes close is my straights. Old Gillettes are really cool but they always miss spots under my chin no matter what I do. :blushing:

The old Gem razors like the 1912 or the lather catchers are close to the injector but the injector is just so easy to use you don't even have to think about it. You can also stretch your skin like you would with a straight when using an injector and it doesn't bite your face the way a DE or SE would.

Seriously, with all the different preferences around here, there's no way for somebody else to answer your question. My own can't fail razors include the Gem 1912 and several different models of injector, but you might not like them, you'd just have to try. Even if you do like them, you might not get the "this is it" feeling that you're looking for. And then, you might not get that feeling on the first try, it might take a week or two weeks to learn the peculiarities of that one razor.

I realize that no one other than me can decide what the best shave for me is. I was simply asking, based on what I currently shave with, if someone has any ideas on which way I should go in my quest for the perfect shave. I fully understand the "YMMV", but given what I have shaved with and the results obtained, I was curious more than anything, to hear what people with more experience then me had to say.:blush:

Thanks for all of your imput, anymore would be appreciated.

Justin

Top Bottom