What's new

Boeuf Bourguignon - highly recommended!

Hi gents,

The SO and I spent all day making this. Well, it doesn't actually take all day of WORK, because you let the stuff simmer for 3.5-4 hours but for maybe an hour's total worth of prep and cooking, its pretty amazing. I suggest giving it a try next time you want/need to impress someone :wink: or just have a lazy day to spend :w00t:.

Link:
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Boeuf-Bourguignon-104754

Fair warning: It generates quite a bit of dirty dishes, but its worth it!

- ice

You should try the root of Julia child's recipe. I didn't realize that Julia's recipes start with a base, then expand on it. In the case of beef bourguignon, the base is a pot roast made from a whole round roast. This way you can get slabs of meat. If Anyone wants the recipe, pm me.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
That's good stuff. I know it's not the original recipe but I usualy use white wine instead of red, I always get better results that way.

If you have a slow cooker, it's perfect for that dish!

It is one of my favourite dishes once the wind turns to the north and the dry clean air of fall arrives. I love it but avoid making it in the humidity of summer. It takes away from the olfactory part of it. I have been using Ina Garten's recipe from Food Network and it is quite good. I suspect there are nearly endless variations of this classic.

I have been using Cycles Gladiator. It is a fine burgundy style for this dish and only runs around ten dollars per bottle. I always save a glass instead of adding it all to the pot. It is a very decent drinking wine.

Regards, Todd

proxy.php

Last edited:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
A classic dish. You really don't need pinot noir, but if you have it, why not?

Hey Ouch, what would be the classic choice for this dish? I used the Gladiator based on a recommendation from the local spirits store. I am not well versed in wines but I knew Pinot is one of the base grapes for Burgundy. Or at least I thought it was anyway. I am most certainly open to any suggestions you want to put forward.

Regards, Todd

According to Julia, " Serve with the beef a fairly full-bodied young red wine, such as Beaujolais, Cotes du Rhone, Bordeaux-St. Emilion, or Burgundy.......

---from the ingredients section of the recipe:

" 3 cups of a full-bodied young red wine such as one of those suggested for serving, or a Chianti".

Made Julia's version last night. Its a great lazy Sunday dish.
Something you can slave over and perfect, no rushing, no short cuts.
Its was a lot of fun, and it turned out amazing.

Top Bottom