What's new

I Quit

Hello to all of the members of the forum,

I am sorry to report that I have given up on traditional wet shaving. I honestly just don't see the benefit in it other than the psychological effects it may have on some people. The combination of a brush, traditional shaving cream or soap and the chrome plated razor can make for an almost aristocratic experience. However, it takes more time and concentration than modern shaving technology. When it's all said and done, I get a quicker and overall better shave with a Gillette Sensor Excel and Edge ultra-sensitive shaving gel. Of course it's all a matter of perspective and opinion, but my opinion is that it's not worth it. In order for me to continue shaving with these methods, I would need to be a shaving Luddite.

You can't skirt the minimum requirements to sell in the BST by posting an E-bay link here.

Last edited by a moderator:

I am sorry to report that I have given up on traditional wet shaving. I honestly just don't see the benefit in it other than the psychological effects it may have on some people. The combination of a brush, traditional shaving cream or soap and the chrome plated razor can make for an almost aristocratic experience. However, it takes more time and concentration than modern shaving technology. When it's all said and done, I get a quicker and overall better shave with a Gillette Sensor Excel and Edge ultra-sensitive shaving gel. Of course it's all a matter of perspective and opinion, but my opinion is that it's not worth it. In order for me to continue shaving with these methods, I would need to be a shaving Luddite.

Sorry it didn't work for you.

At least you tried and found out for yourself. At the least you probably came away with learning better shaving techniques for yourself. Good fortune to you.

It can become a luxurious, and expensive hobby. Do what's best for you.

If no one buys the brush, keep it and use it with a cartridge razor and a quality shaving soap/cream (Tabac/Proraso).
BTW: It took me a while to find the right razor/blade combo.

Sorry it didn't work for you. You should at least keep using the brush, good shaving soap and a fine mug. Those and the good techniques you learned will go along way in improving a shave with disposibles. I do this when I travel. I take my Mach III (no heartache if I lose it), a tube of Derby shaving cream, boar bristle (what can I say, I like the boar) and my beater tin shaving mug. That and a small bottle of Nivea replenishing balm, life is still good!:tongue_sm
Ernest

I echo others in saying you should consider keeping the brush and the quality cream, but whatever works. Sorry it didn't work out.

Before you quit, read the first two links in my signature. If you still want to quit, go ahead. But these articles sum up what traditional wetshaving is all about.

Good for you.

Using a brush is archaic.

I have a couple of them and a few cakes of soap and never use them. Gel is discusting and that's also something I'll never use.

Razors and blades on the other hand are practical to have around. You could always use them. You might run out of cartridges.

Ya gotta watch those links to live auctions. It's not something that's done on this board.

Are you unsubscribing?

It took me several months to get to the point where I no longer felt as you do now. The thing that kept me with the DE shaving, though, was that I would have been going back to cartridges which might only give me a couple or three acceptable shaves before dulling, and the cartridges are much more expensive than a DE blade. I'm now at the point where a 10 minute, 2 pass shave gives me superior results every day.

How long did you try it?

I can appreciate when something doesn't work out as planned or according to expectations, the urge to quit can be quite irresistible. Wet shaving takes time and effort to master. A few weeks is probably insufficient to come to a true evaluation of the benefit proposition it offers and ultimate time commitments.

Regardless, only you can determine what's best for you.

If it doesn't work for you then no one is going to question your choice. You at least tried. You are still shaving with a blade though which is good.

I am sorry to report that I have given up on traditional wet shaving. I honestly just don't see the benefit in it other than the psychological effects it may have on some people. The combination of a brush, traditional shaving cream or soap and the chrome plated razor can make for an almost aristocratic experience.
Here, The Carpenter, has communicated the beauty of the traditional wet shave experience. As men, we rarely get moments when we can concentrate on our appearance and take pride in who we are. Wet shaving is a hell of a lot cheaper than a therapist.:thumbup1:
However, it takes more time and concentration than modern shaving technology. When it's all said and done, I get a quicker and overall better shave with a Gillette Sensor Excel and Edge ultra-sensitive shaving gel.
You know sir if you have found this hobby doesn't work for you, I wish you all the best.
Of course it's all a matter of perspective and opinion, but my opinion is that it's not worth it. In order for me to continue shaving with these methods, I would need to be a shaving Luddite.
Really, is it necessary to compare the people who enjoy this self gratifying harmless hobby to a people who destroy technology out of fear and anxiety? I contend that a traditional wet shaving enthusiast participates in this hobby not out of fear of loss, but for a zest of life.

Last edited:
Anything worth doing well takes time, concentration and effort. It's far easier to do all of those when you enjoy the process. Even so, taking 5 extra minutes is hardly what I'd call onerous.

I got tired of Gillette gouging me for the privilege of removing all those requirements, and not many here are in it to get the thing done ASAP.

Many would object to being called Luddites simply because you found something non conventionally modern, to not be as good for you, as it is for them.

Others here have been far more charitable, but given you joined last month and have quit half way through this month, I'd say "way to go, you really gave it a decent try".:thumbup::001_rolle

Last edited:
I honestly just don't see the benefit in it other than the psychological effects it may have on some people. The combination of a brush, traditional shaving cream or soap and the chrome plated razor can make for an almost aristocratic experience.

For me it is an aristocratic experience :lol:. Seriously, I was probably lucky: my first de-shave was almost perfect. Great shave, no nicks no cuts, no bleeders, just great. I used a Lord L6 with a Lord blade. Do not remember the soap, might have been Cella. But you must do what best for you. Just enjoy your shaves!

Additionally, I am not so sure that the technology has advanced all that much, if at all. The only thing that seems to have been gained is speed and I would wager that the results of a proper DE shave are superior to the goo/quintuple head-headlight-seat-belt monstrosities that are called razors nowadays.

To wit, the simplicity, uncluttered beauty and utility of the simple Gillette Tech says a lot to demonstrate the KISS principle.

But then again, I may be biased. :tongue_sm

All my best with your shaving career, but I venture to say that you will be back.

Top Bottom