What's new

The Lottery vs Hill House by Shirley Jackson

The textbook for my class states that The Lottery is Shirley Jackson's best known work.

Am I crazy, or does anyone else think of Hill House first when they think of Jackson?

Is she Reggie Jackson's wife?

Surely you must mean Action Jackson.

proxy.php

As much as I liked the previous two posts I'll give it a serious shot and say that no, I would think most people think of the Lottery when speaking of Jackson for the simple reason that many grade school reading books with short stories include the story in a way to introduce both horror and social commentary regarding the tyranny of the masses against the individual... Now if you want to discuss Action Jackson's most famous work...:laugh:

As much as I liked the previous two posts I'll give it a serious shot and say that no, I would think most people think of the Lottery when speaking of Jackson for the simple reason that many grade school reading books with short stories include the story in a way to introduce both horror and social commentary regarding the tyranny of the masses against the individual.

+1.

"The Lottery" is one of those stories that I think anyone under the age of 30 had to read in school at some point or another. I didn't particularly like the story then and I don't like it any better today, but since it's the only Jackson anyone ever reads the story has pretty much become her signature. Unfair? Perhaps. I never read anything else of hers to compare it to.

Jeff in Boston

"Hill House" I immediately realized was Shirley Jackson. "The Lottery" took me a while to make that connection, although I've read both.

Wow, I guess I'm in the minority on this one. Stephen King called "The Haunting of Hill House" the scariest novel ever written. That's the one I read as a kid.

Top Bottom