What's new

SE Carbon Steel Gem Blades - Ted Pella

After trying Treat blades and liking them, I decided I'd try some carbon steel Gem blades from Ted Pella.

I tried the 121-1, Single Edge, Carbon Steel Gem® Blades.

http://www.tedpella.com/dissect_html/dissect.htm#_121_1

I just finished my second shave and the blade has been great for me.
I used a Gem 1912 for both shaves.
I did hand strop the blade 10 times on each side before both shaves.
Seems very sharp. Yesterdays shave was with two days growth, and it went right through the hairs like a hot knife through butter.
No irritation, no nicks, weepers, etc.

Today I got a nearly BBS shave no nicks, weepers, no irritation.
There was a little of a drop off in sharpness, but not as big as I thought, especially since I had two days growth before the first shave.
I am rinsing the blade after, patting it dry and dipping in 91% alcohol. So far no visible rust.

I'm trying to get 3 or 4 shaves out of these. I do have the stainless steel coated blades and like them too.
I just couldn't resist trying these. :)

Joe

The weather here (West Virginia, about 50miles from Pittsburgh, PA) - has been cooler and dryer the last 5 days or so.
It is more humid today.

The house is pretty well air conditioned. I'll have to see how they do this week as the weather is supposed to be warmer with some rain.

Earlier today I shaved for the third time with this blade.
The blade still cut, but it took 4 passes, instead of 3 -- and i had to do more cleaning up at some rough patches.
It was a decent shave, but I dont think I can get a 4th shave from this blade.

I did palm strop before each of the three shaves, so its possible that fewer palm stropping strokes would allow me to get a 4th decent shave. Maybe 5 strokes on the palm, instead of 10.

All in all, Im pleased.

Any updates on your use of these blades? The Treets are my favorite SE blade and I'm considering ordering some of these since they are a lot cheaper than the Treets.

Thanks.

After trying Treat blades and liking them, I decided I'd try some carbon steel Gem blades from Ted Pella.

I tried the 121-1, Single Edge, Carbon Steel Gem® Blades.

http://www.tedpella.com/dissect_html/dissect.htm#_121_1

I just finished my second shave and the blade has been great for me.
I used a Gem 1912 for both shaves.
I did hand strop the blade 10 times on each side before both shaves.
Seems very sharp. Yesterdays shave was with two days growth, and it went right through the hairs like a hot knife through butter.
No irritation, no nicks, weepers, etc.

Today I got a nearly BBS shave no nicks, weepers, no irritation.
There was a little of a drop off in sharpness, but not as big as I thought, especially since I had two days growth before the first shave.
I am rinsing the blade after, patting it dry and dipping in 91% alcohol. So far no visible rust.

I'm trying to get 3 or 4 shaves out of these. I do have the stainless steel coated blades and like them too.
I just couldn't resist trying these. :)

Joe

Love the Treet blades. Want to try this experiment, but see you already have. Any new info? Are you still using these blades?

"Hopefully he responds, I want to order these blades if they are as good or better than the CVS carbons."

"He offered to send me a couple to test but they never arrived and he hasn't logged on here since October."

That does it. Pella made me a nice offer, guess he wants to do business. I will tell my daughter to go ahead with it :laugh: Will let you know when they arrive. Tom: I will pif you some then.

That won't be necessary Wil, but I would like to hear your opinion of them.

"Hopefully he responds, I want to order these blades if they are as good or better than the CVS carbons."

"He offered to send me a couple to test but they never arrived and he hasn't logged on here since October."

That does it. Pella made me a nice offer, guess he wants to do business. I will tell my daughter to go ahead with it :laugh: Will let you know when they arrive. Tom: I will pif you some then.

Top Bottom