What's new

To restore or not to restore? That is the question...

Last week I won an auction for the follwing items:

proxy.php

proxy.php

The brush is a Fuller in butterscotch. I believe it is boar; it is very narrow and quite stiff. It seems to be in excellent shape, which leads me to my question.

Is this brush too nice to replace the knot with one from TGN? My daily driver brush is a Frank's Shaving in finest, which is serving me quite well. I also have a VDH boar.

If I don't replace the knot, should I even use it, or should I keep it as a collectable? Does anyone use narrow boar brushes nowadays? If I do replace it, will it still fit into the holder (I'm thinking no)?

What would you do?

I don't know about the collectible part but TGN has some good boars to re-knot with if you so choose, and Tony has great service.

Don't restore it - send it to me! Both the brush and the knot look to be in excellent shape. Perfectly usable. It's very likely that the knot just hasn't even been broken in, after all these years. My own opinion would be to use it, and let the bristles break in. From experience of other Fuller users however, it will still remain somewhat stiffer than the higher end boar brushes you can get today.

Nice set! I just bought a Seaforth mug and a Gillette 40's razor this last week for $8.

I have a similar brush and stand, but mine is a Ever-Ready 200BH, Red with gold swirls. I tried to use the old boar bristles but they were starting to come out of the handle. I ordered a TGN 20mm Finest Badger from Tony. Hopefully they will be in the mail today.

Last edited:
I buy them to restore and use them.

I have gotten my brother and son interested in wet shaving and sent them some beginner brushes.

So, since I like refurbing things, I am going to restore some older EverReadys with better knots from TGN and send them along.

They have no idea what they are in for.

If I get a really cool butterscotch, rather than risk it with my newbie skills, I am going to send it to Rudy Vey and have him do the restoration.

Top Bottom