What's new

The Body Shop Suggests Using a Straight Razor

I was looking at The Body Shop website for info about their Maca Root Shaving Cream, and was surprised to their "Tips" for a better shave included "Try using a straight razor for an extra-close shave" on THIS WEB PAGE.

I just thought this was interesting, as I don't recall ever seeing a main-stream vendor encourage using a straight razor, and thought you straight razor users might enjoy seeing this.

I apologize if it's been covered before here, and I'll go back to my DE and Shaving Cream forums now. :001_rolle

I just looked at the site and noticed that they are selling a shave oil that apparently is to be used in place of cream/soap. Does anyone here have any experience with this product?

It's nice to see them doing this, alos remember how environmentally conscious they are. Anything to stop people throwing out used up carts. They could also have people in charge that know a thing or two about shaving.

Wow! I've seen master barbers who won't recommend a straight. Only problem with this recomendation is it's so casual. As though a straight's easy to pick up. I would have to agree with their assesment that the best shave I've ever had was from a straight, but there were a lot of lousy shaves while I learned how to use it.

I think you're right, def a throw away line. If they meant it they'd carry straights or at least link to more information.

That's not a recommendation to use straights, that's a throw-away line to make them sound hipper.

Oh come on! I'm going to give them some credit. No other major retailers that I've checked out has suggested straights on their website.

Art of Shaving for instance, carries straights, but recommends cartridge razors. :mad3:

--

As for the Body Shop oil, I haven't used it in place of the cream, but it has got me interested!

Last edited:
Oh come on! I'm going to give them some credit. No other major retailers that I've checked out has suggested straights on their website.

Art of Shaving for instance, carries straights, but recommends cartridge razors. :mad3:

--

As for the Body Shop oil, I haven't used it in place of the cream, but it has got me interested!

The body shop can probably afford to suggest straights because they have nothing to lose with it; they haven't put they're money where their mouth is! I'm sure AOS on the other hand makes most of their money from cartridge shavers, straights are a small niche. They risk alienating their core clientele if they push the straights over cartridges.

--

Well that is because P&G owns both AoS and Gillette.

The body shop can probably afford to suggest straights because they have nothing to lose with it; they haven't put they're money where their mouth is! I'm sure AOS on the other hand makes most of their money from cartridge shavers, straights are a small niche. They risk alienating their core clientele if they push the straights over cartridges.

Good point.

P&G needs to get the heck away from shaving products.

Doesn't P&G also own Old Spice?

Top Bottom