What's new

Shaping Horn?

Hey Guys,
I've made quite a few sets of scales now. Lots of which have turned out really well:thumbup:. My question is about horn. When I'm shaping the horn on the belt sander it gets so friggin hot that my two sidded tape lets go causing a gooey mess not to mention makes it very difficult to shape:thumbdown. This has also happened when using bone. What kind of product do you guys use to keep that material from letting go of each other???:bored:
Thanks!

What kind of tape are you using?

I have found that "ShurTape" double-sided indoor/outdoor carpet tape, the one that comes in a blue roll available at Lowes, is REALLY good for making scales.

edit: its this one:

proxy.php

-Brad

A couple things might be the culprit. Your belt may be turning too fast or you are using worn sanding belts. You might also be in contact with the wheel for too long. The kind of heat you are talking about is not a very good indicator at all.

Have a little more patience, use fresh belts, and stop to let things cool if they start heating up too much. I use regular scotch double-sided tape most of the time without any issues.

If you are stuck with a 3,450rpm motor, just reduce the amount of time you stay in contact with the wheel, pulling the scales away often to let them cool. You should probably consider only being in contact with the sanding belt for two seconds at a time for the fast motors, especially if the belt is worn at all.

Top Bottom