What's new

Pressure: Light vs Heavy Razors + Short vs Long handled Razors

As we all know pressure needs to be minimal or some would say even non existent when using a DE.

However for much of my DE experience for the past few years I've used very light razors. I started with a long handled Gillette Knack variant, a plastic handled TTO that was very light. Used this for many years without any problems.

Then I lost that razor when moving and temporarily used a crappy Chinese clone of the Gillette TTO, much like a Weishi but mostly plastic.

The heaviest razor I own is the one I use right now, a UK Gillette fat handled Tech. Compared to what most of you guys have this is probably very light but this is the heaviest razor I've ever owned!

Why the background? Cuz I've always had a very hard time using minimal to no pressure. With the longer handled Gillette Knack things weren't too bad cuz I could hold on to the end of the handle and the leverage would 'simulate' the force of a heavier razor.

However with the Chinese clone and even the Gillette Tech, since they have short handles and are light in weight, I find myself bearing down quite a fair bit, if not the blade tends to lose control and goes all over my face.

My question is - how do you gents who use short handled and light weighted razors shave? How do you exert little to no pressure yet control the blade's behaviour on your skin while managing to cut those whiskers off (especially with the milder razors which lighter razors tend to be).

Would a longer handled or heavier razor solve the problem? Or better still a longer handled AND heavier weight razor - or would that be overkill?

Looking forward to your replies! Thanks gents!

I think you're over analyzing it. The key is to find a razor you like and develop a feel for how to use it best. I've used big heavy razors, small heavy razors and small light razors. The difference between applying a bit of pressure with a light razor versus just guiding a heavy razor through my stroke is subtle at best. I find more difference in mild versus agressive heads than I do light versus heavy razors.

My 2₵

I think you're over analyzing it. The key is to find a razor you like and develop a feel for how to use it best. I've used big heavy razors, small heavy razors and small light razors. The difference between applying a bit of pressure with a light razor versus just guiding a heavy razor through my stroke is subtle at best. I find more difference in mild versus agressive heads than I do light versus heavy razors.

My 2₵

Correct. I find whether I'm using a light, heavy, long or short handled razor I adjust for it without even thinking. It's a feel thing.

Len

I basically ignore all the advice regarding pressure. I apply pressure whether I'm using a heavy razor or a light razor, and that even applies to the various types of razors. My rotation of razors includes DEs, SEs, injectors, and straights, and I apply pressure every time I shave. However, I have been wet-shaving for more than 40 years, so my skin is probably more leathery than that of most shavers.

Try holding the razor with your fingertips. I lightly hold mine with my thumb, index, and middle fingers. Just use your hand to steer the razor and try letting gravity do the rest. Relax and take your time.

R

rainman

It ends up being what you prefer. I prefer the long handle because of how I grip the razor and it is easier to let it dip into the sink to heat it up and rinse it with out wetting the part of the handle that I'm shaving with. As far as weight goes, the heavier the easier to provide a low pressure. With that being said, you can manually adjust your pressure to make up for any razor weight.

Top Bottom