Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alternatives to witch hazel?

Default Alternatives to witch hazel?

So I am just getting started (and still working on just making a proper lather) but one thing I have found out is I really really don't care for the scent of witch hazel. Other then an alum block are there any suggestions/alternatives for an astringent to use?

Not an exact answer to your question (aside from WH and alum bars, I know of no other astringent for after your shave), BUT... doesn't Thayer's make many WH-ish products, some scented (rose, cucumber, etc.) and some unscented, that might fit the bill? ...That is, if it's simply the scent of Dickinson's or generic WH that's the problem for you.

Also, many mid- to upper-range aftershaves contain WH and/or alum (Speick comes to mind here...), so that might be another way for you to go. Happy shaving!
    [FONT=arial]John - [/FONT] If you enjoy the time you spend on B&B - [URL="http://www.badgerandblade.com/vb/payments.php"][COLOR=#004499]become a contributor[/COLOR][/URL] and support B&B!

The town Billy Joel bashes at every concert he performs.

I know what you mean. I threw out a perfectly good bottle of witch hazel because I thought it had gone bad.

Thayer's website has a sample pack of all their different scents. I'm temptedto give it a try, even though I don't use WH currently.
    Just a traveling cat in a tall black hat riding a goat. Nothing to see here.

Yep. Thayer's is the answer.

Although I have to say that although I originally thought regular witch hazel stank, over time I have come to tolerate the scent quite well. I've gotten used to it.
    Randall, member of BOTOC

I don't find the scent that bad. Isn't Thayers alcohol-free? I like the mild antiseptic qualities of the "regular" witch hazel that has some alcohol in it.

I think the simplest alternative would be using any aftershave which has some alcohol.

I gave up using the hazel not because of the scent, but because my aftershaves were doing the same job.
    Brian

Why not just use it? In a week or two, you will no longer notice the scent. I actually love it now.
    Matthew | QueenCharlotteSoaps.com - Handmade hand & body soap, shampoo bars, tallow shaving cream and soap, aftershave balm, and much more

Lightbulb

I just throw a shot of cheap aftershave into a bottle of witch hazel and all is well

Quote Originally Posted by mretzloff View Post
    I actually love it now.
    Me too. And it's cheap and a half litre bottle lasts for ages. I never had a problem with the scent - and luckily neither did my wife. I actually wipe my face with it every night before going to bed. Works great on my combination skin.

Thayers lavender.
    "Fight 'em 'til hell freezes over...then fight 'em on the ice." --Dutch Meyer

Images

Thayers has every possible scent you may want, as well as scent free, and with or w/o alcohol. I like rose petal - very mild smell.
    Jim P. - Chandler, Arizona

ackvil (at) badgerandblade.com

Any questions? Just ask! Since I may not read all of the posts feel free to PM or Email me.

"Winning is
    like shaving - do it every day or you wind up looking like a bum."
    Jack Kemp

“Be a gentleman at all times. Shine your shoes, shave every day, be considerate of others, and don't chew with your mouth open.” Words of advice from my late mother.

Quote Originally Posted by apino View Post
    I like the mild antiseptic qualities of the "regular" witch hazel that has some alcohol in it.
    Alcohol is an antiseptic for intact skin only. I don't think that's the case after a shave. Read here:

http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/fi...pt.htm#Alcohol

Quote Originally Posted by mretzloff View Post
    why not just use it? In a week or two, you will no longer notice the scent. I actually love it now.
    +1
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by spremino View Post
    Alcohol is an antiseptic for intact skin only. I don't think that's the case after a shave. Read here:

http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/fi...pt.htm#Alcohol
    What they're saying is not to clean the inside of a gaping, open wound with alcohol.

If your shave leaves you in the kind of shape that should not be treated with alcohol, then (as they say on teh interwebs) "you're doing it wrong."
    Randall, member of BOTOC

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisher View Post
    What they're saying is not to clean the inside of a gaping, open wound with alcohol.
    Do you think your skin is intact after a shave? I don't think so (that's why alchool stings, isn't it).

My face does not sting using aftershaves with alcohol. I shave the whiskers off of my skin, not scrape them.
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by BrianL View Post
    My face does not sting using aftershaves with alcohol.
    Neither does mine. However, since I don't think my skin is intact after a shave, I seldom use alchool-based aftershaves, and prefer other antiseptics.

Happy shaving ;-)

Happy shaving indeed
    Brian

Images

Do you think your skin is intact after a shave? I don't think so (that's why alchool stings, isn't it).

"Intact" isn't the same thing as "gaping wound".
    Generations of men have used alcohol-based aftershaves, and lived to tell about it, I wouldn't stress too hard.
    Just call me Chris.

The alcohol of witch hazel doesn't cause much stinging for me. I've even tried pure alcohol for the heck of it and could bear it (dries the skin unnecessarily though).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast