What's new

Glenfiddich range. 12,15,18,21 and 30

My wife and I was invited to a Glenfiddich tasting that was hosted by one of the brand ambassadors. We started of with the 12, 15 and 18 year. It gave us a chance to noise each one side by side. Between each whisky they severed a small bite of food that brought out certain tasting notes.

I liked the 15 and 18 yr. Not so much the 12yr.
For dessert they brought out a crepe and the 21 yr rum cask. Talk about different. We were told a custom blend of 3 different rums seasoned new American oak casks for 6 month before the whisky is placed in them. Very good but very different.

We also had to chance to try the new 30 yr small batch that just came out. I believe it was from cask #18. That was outstanding. Still had the taste profile you can expect from glenfiddich and was great. That whisky was placed in the cask about the same time I was born. Yup 30 years is perfect.

What are your thoughts on the glenfiddich range?

Out of all the Glendfiddich bottles, I think the 15 year is the best in terms of price versus taste. In fact, I prefer it over the 18 year bottling. I can't comment on the 21 rum cask as I haven't tried it as of yet. The 12 year is a typical mass product and doesn't not stand out in any particular way; an uninspired Scotch whisky expression. The Glendronach 12 Original and the Bowmore 12 can be had for the roughly same price and they are, to my palette, superior to the Glenfiddich 12 year.

The 15 uses a process called the Solera vat. It's a huge vat that is never allowed to drop below 50%. It gives the whisky some unique notes. They took the idea from Spanish sherry making.

The 15 uses a process called the Solera vat. It's a huge vat that is never allowed to drop below 50%. It gives the whisky some unique notes. They took the idea from Spanish sherry making.

Yes, it is an interesting process. However, it seems that some of the new bottling labels by Glenfiddich no longer mention this.

I think they're greatly underestimated because for many people it's an introduction to SMW. This is due to the widespread availability in pubs, clubs etc (I believe it's the best selling SMW outside Scotland). So people tend to disregard it in favour of the more "exclusive" SMWs. IMO that is a big mistake. It's a great range.

I've loved the 21 going back to when it was the "Havana Reserve" and it couldn't be sold in the US because they used Cuban rum casks.

The 15 has always been a long time favorite of mine - easy drinking, but with enough nuance to keep you interested. A great everyday drink.

I've never had an issue with the 12, it has that nice Glenfiddich house character with a light, grassy air. $20 a bottle at some places, how can you go wrong? Great on ice in the summer, or in a highball. Not bad neat, either, when you just want a nice simple dram.

The 18 is a nice malt (especially when Costco has it for $45 around the holidays), though as others have mentioned I would generally take the 15 instead, especially if the 18's not on sale. However, it is quite a luxurious whisky with a lot to offer.

What I'm curious about is the new cask-strength 15 that's out now ("Distillery Reserve"). Has anyone tried it yet?

I've loved the 21 going back to when it was the "Havana Reserve" and it couldn't be sold in the US because they used Cuban rum casks.

we talked about that. Because of the trade embargo they could not sell the 21 year in the US. They never used Cuban rum Casks but used a blend of Cuban Rum to fill Glenfiddich's casks. Because the US buys close to 50% of the Glenfiddich produced they now use different rums.

The ambassador said that Glenfiddich went to a rum importer and had them come up with a new 3 rum mixture that has the same taste profile of the Cuban rum. We all tried to get the names of the new rums but that wasn't happening. I bet only a few people really know the names and ratios.

I wonder if The Balvenie is made with the same Rum. What else do you do with all that Rum? Maybe age it in whisky casks and sell it as Glenfiddich Rum.

I've never had an issue with the 12, it has that nice Glenfiddich house character with a light, grassy air. $20 a bottle at some places, how can you go wrong?

The 18 is a nice malt (especially when Costco has it for $45 around the holidays)...

I winch everytime I see the prices of Scotch elsewhere. In Canada, we are paying more that double the prices listed above, even when on "sale" at the LCBO. :mad3:

What I'm curious about is the new cask-strength 15 that's out now ("Distillery Reserve"). Has anyone tried it yet?

I asked about this also....all i got from the ambassador was "Its sexy" in his Scottish accent.

I'm hearing that a few warehouses we heavily damaged from snow this year. Glendfiddich decided to leave the casks in place because of the cost to move them. Most of the casks are 10-15 years old with some much older ones. all of the casks have been exposed to the elements for the last 6-8 months. Rumor is that Glendfiddich is going to blend these and make a no age statement bottle. Calling it Phoenix something. might be different, might be good.

I'm hearing that a few warehouses we heavily damaged from snow this year. Glendfiddich decided to leave the casks in place because of the cost to move them. Most of the casks are 10-15 years old with some much older ones. all of the casks have been exposed to the elements for the last 6-8 months. Rumor is that Glendfiddich is going to blend these and make a no age statement bottle. Calling it Phoenix something. might be different, might be good

Looks like they have it out now.

Glenfiddich Snow Phoenix
http://shop.glenfiddich.com/shop/prod_snow_phoenix.html

Top Bottom