What's new

Tomorrow is S-Day!

So I just got my straights back from ShavedZombie all lovingly honed for me. They cut my arm hair easily and because it's late here now I'm going to try my Red Imp out tomorrow morning for it's first run when I'm less sleepy and likely to injure myself!

I've shaved with my shavette a good few times and have never had any problems bar getting into some awkward and bend positions (and using it with both hands) to get the back of my legs!
But I'm nervous about tomorrow as it will be my first full shave with a straight.

My set up will be a badger brush with some Cella and my Red Imp.

Does anyone have any last minute tips so that I don't end up needing a wooden leg?

Thanks!

If you plan on stropping (which I recommend) do so very slowly, and use the loom strop I gave you for the first stropping, since it will preset the tension for you. Use the kangaroo one when you get more comfortable with stropping.

Also, since the red imp is a wedge, use a bit shallower of an angle (around 20-25* For a WTG pass, less for other passes), and don't expect much auditory feedback.

Good luck! Glad they got to you safe and sound. Any problems just let me know!

Jeremy puts a darn fine edge on a razor. I have a Geneva I got from him and it still has a nice edge on it with only some stropping.

Last edited:
Thanks for the compliments on the honing... I had a great teacher ;)

Rick is referring to me, just the wrong name (although he got the J right at least... There's this guy who keeps calling me David... You know who you are :p ) Glad the Geneva shaves smooth, Wid

Joe- She got my auxillary 'roo, not the one I full-out made. Her only strop was a Zeepk... Couldn't leave a nice 'gal in the lurch like that, especially not with such nice razors

Oooo so tomorrow will be my first proper strop then too! Double nervous!
How many passes do you think I should do on each side of the loom?

Oooo so tomorrow will be my first proper strop then too! Double nervous!
How many passes do you think I should do on each side of the loom?

I'd say go with 30 laps on the red side, and 30 on the brown... You could also do 30 on the denim of the roo strop prior to using leathers, but that's optional... both sides had the same draw, so I sanded the red to 200-400 grit, and the brown up to 1500, so the red is somewhat equivalent to a "prestrop" surface.

Legion

Staff member
The Red Imp is supposed to be a great shaver. You just reminded me, I haven't even tried mine yet! (So many razors, so few faces. I might need to start shaving my legs too!)

The Red Imp is supposed to be a great shaver. You just reminded me, I haven't even tried mine yet! (So many razors, so few faces. I might need to start shaving my legs too!)

Now why didn't I think of that? Here I am with a few dozen razors I haven't bothered honing because I thought I could only use one a day!

Just watch your angle and your pressure! Another thing most people don't mention is be sure to make more than enough lather. When I first started straight shaving my lather would dry because I was taking so long! So re-lather as often as you need and like others have mentioned, take your time and enjoy it!!

Top Bottom