What's new

New Shoe Care

Just received a new pair of light honey brown wingtips similar to the one in the picture but a little lighter brown and with a more rounded toe. Do you guys apply a leather conditioner to your shoes before wearing? I was thinking about using a neutral shoe polish so that I do not darken the leather since they will automatically darken with age. Also, since the bottom of the shoes are leather and extremely slick, do any of you guys get the shoe cobbler to add a rubber grip to the soles?

View attachment 123417

Last edited:
In order to best help, it would be good to know what kind of shoes they are and what type of leather it is. Alden shell cordovan is very different than AE calfskin which is also very different than Bostonian's corrected leather.

I hand them right to my shoe guy when he comes in on Tuesdays...What he does with them.. I don't know.

As far as the sole.. I do the faux ice-skating routine to scuff them up on the bottom.. no rubber for me. I don't like it was it wears down and the edges get funky..

In order to best help, it would be good to know what kind of shoes they are and what type of leather it is. Alden shell cordovan is very different than AE calfskin which is also very different than Bostonian's corrected leather.

They are Antonio Maurizi Wingtip Oxfords in Italian tan calf.

Ah yes, I remember your thread about them around the time I joined a few months back. Those are some very good looking shoes! Lucky for you, calf leather is pretty darn easy to take care of. A lot of people will slave over their shoes, but outside of doing so purely for fun, there's no real reason to. The color is pretty darn close to Allen Edmond's Walnut, so if you wanted to use a good quality color specific polish, I would point you towards that (but neutral is fine as well). Give it a good polish from the get go and just wear them. I will clean and buff with a horsehair brush every couple times I wear them, but for only a few seconds. Otherwise, I polish about once a month depending on wear and use cleaner/conditioner a couple times a year at most....the latter not really being necessary at the beginning. The leather should be pretty packed with oils and waxes from the factory and should not need replenishing at this time.

Antonio Maurizi tan calf:

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Allen Edmonds walnut calf

proxy.php

Last edited:
Ah yes, I remember your thread about them around the time I joined a few months back. Those are some very good looking shoes! Lucky for you, calf leather is pretty darn easy to take care of. A lot of people will slave over their shoes, but outside of doing so purely for fun, there's no real reason to. The color is pretty darn close to Allen Edmond's Walnut, so if you wanted to use a good quality color specific polish, I would point you towards that (but neutral is fine as well). Give it a good polish from the get go and just wear them. I will clean and buff with a horsehair brush every couple times I wear them, but for only a few seconds. Otherwise, I polish about once a month depending on wear and use cleaner/conditioner a couple times a year at most....the latter not really being necessary at the beginning. The leather should be pretty packed with oils and waxes from the factory and should not need replenishing at this time.

Antonio Maurizi tan calf:

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Allen Edmonds walnut calf

proxy.php

I exchanged the tan wingtips in the picture for a style that had more of a rounded toe, but same color.

Topy rules!

I was thinking of using the Vibram sole protectors. I wouldn't normally put shoe protectors on leather soles but I do a lot of walking and most of it is on a smooth slick surface, particularly metal escalators.

Last edited:
I was thinking of using the Vibram sole protectors. I wouldn't normally put shoe protectors on leather soles but I do a lot of walking and most of it is on a smooth slick surface, particularly metal escalators.

I bought my first pair with Topy from Barney's New York. Their own store brand made in Italy with topied leather soles. Man, I will never go back to all leather soles again. You get that sharp dressy look of leather with the traction and comfort of rubber.

Top Bottom