What's new

Should I be nervous about trying Feather blades?

I've been using Derby's for over a year and have been fine with them. I went thought many different brands in my West Coast Shaving sampler pack and the Derby's were the winner for me.

I know Feather's receive a lot of mixed reviews, so I don't know if I should just stick with what's working for me or try the Feather's and risk injury (LOL!) based on all the things I've read.

The feathers are very sharp but you have been using a DE for over a year, try them out. Your face isn't just going to instantly fall off or anything. Just do the same things you do all the time, no pressure, etc.

If your technique is sound and consistent, Feather blades won't present a problem. They are sharp but then again so are other razor blades, so normal precautions are required. As they arguably the sharpest blade going, they are not as forgiving of mistakes as other blades, which adds to their mystique. However, once your technique is good, they will give you great shaves without requiring payment in blood.

Feathers are the most finicky blade that I've found. They work great in some razors, they work lousy in others.

My favorite razor/blade combo is a SledgehammerSlant with Feather blade. These two are married to each other. I don't use the Slant with any other blade, I don't use the Feather with any other razor.

The first time I used a Feather (in a Gillette Slim) I didn't like it, and I put away the blade for 6 months.
The second time I tried it (in a Merkur HD) I got tolerable results, but I still put it away for several months.
The third time I tried it (in the Slant) I had found shaving nirvana.

You'll have to experiment to find out what works best for you. Don't expect that you can make up your mind on Feathers after only one or two uses.

And as others have said, don't try Feathers unless your technique is in place, and you're getting consistently good results with other blades.

Last edited:
I use Feathers about 30% of the time. The Kais may be as sharp; nothing else is. You'll get different performances in different razors. The community view is that Feathers are the standard against which sharpness is measured.

Try them.

If you have trouble with them, try the Kais or Irridiums.

Feathers are a good learning tool, actually - if you have any problems with pressure or angle you'll find out pretty quickly. If your technique is good, you'll probably love them.

No need to be nervous, just be careful, like you would be putting any sharp blade to your face. Who knows, you may find it to be the best blade for you yet.

Since it is the gold standard of sharpness, you should at least give them a try. I like them a lot but find the Iridiums smoother and nearly as sharp (and have recently found them at a lower cost). I still like to have a pack or two around and to use them from time to time. Plus, I use a Tech when I travel and find it a mild razor which pairs well with such a sharp blade.

My answer: NO. My first ever safety razor shave was with a Feather in a Merkur 23C Long Handle. Knowing Feather's reputation, I chose it on purpose to raise my pulse to a suitable level and get an extra dose of adrenaline. :001_smile

And to my surprise, no nicks or weepers, no irritation. The 23C is very forgiving but I must have been extra careful also. The next shave was far worse and reminded me of the importance of staying focused to get good results.

Feather is the sharpest of the ones I've tried but I also find it very smooth (I've only tried 5 or 6 different brands though so far!).

Can't hurt to try the Feather. It doesn't do great things for me & I don't know if it's my razor (Merkur 38c) or just my skin. My technique is successful with other blades.

Let us know the results.

No need to fear Feathers; after all, razor blades are supposed to be sharp. Just load up your razor and go for it.

No. Feathers are just a blade. Be midnful of your technique when using them because they are less forgiving but they are not going to damage you more than any other blade. You'll be better off for having used them because your technique will improve.

Just to pile on: Should you be nervous? No. But should you be respectful and not cavalier about it? Certainly!

I'm nervous about parachuting out of airplanes or doing a public speaking engagement or juggling with chainsaws, but using Feather blades doesn't make the list. They're a great blade in my opinion, and as I work through a sampler pack I got a few months ago, I am edging closer and closer to being a one-blade man, a Feather man. They're just the best blades for me from everything I've tried to date.

Best of luck,

Chris

Top Bottom