What's new

Do people think your nuts for using a DE Razor?

I never mention it to anyone.

The husband half of our "couple friends" must have seen my 34C in the bathroom, because they next time I saw him, he mentioned how he really thinks that five-bladed razors are the best and how a cart lasts him a month. Methinks he was trying to bait me. I didn't bite. I just said that I use a razor with one blade and it works just fine for me.

Then, his wife sort of backpedalled and apologized for him. :001_rolle

Today I showed up at my office with a gash in my chin over an inch and a half long.. The result of a momentary lapse of much needed concentration when working with a new Feather Artist Club...

This sure prompted some interesting questions and comments....

Everyone I work with knows I use one.
I've offered everyone a startup kit to try and no one took me up on it.
Most people think I'm using a straight razor.
They usually lose interest while i'm trying to explain the difference. :glare:

+1 It happened last week. I was explaining to my doctor why I was feeling well lately -mind you, the shave hobby is but a part of that- but when he realized I meant DE and not str8, he said, "Oh, those? I used them 100 years ago! Now I use an electric!" End of that line of discussion!

Today I showed up at my office with a gash in my chin over an inch and a half long.. The result of a momentary lapse of much needed concentration when working with a new Feather Artist Club...

This sure prompted some interesting questions and comments....

Oy! I was getting nicked on 3 out of 5 shaves. Started paying attention to the basics again and have been bloodless since maybe 1.5 months ago.

Complacency? Over-confidence? I believe so. You get accustomed to something before you are truly competent and the ghost of old K.C. Gillette will come jog your elbow for you. :glare:

No longer do I forget that good, bad, or indifferent, any shiv will cut you if you don't pay attention to the chore at hand.

My son and I are DE users and have a few collector shaving items and YES everyone thinks we are crazy, but that's OK we are happy and get great shaves!

When out with my wife and friends I don't talk about it, I keep it on the down low!

My friends think I am wretchedly cheap for shaving with DE's because my primary motivation was to pay less money per shave. I'd say the joke's on them!

... but then I look at my razors plated with rhodium, gold, and silver, my exotic creams and balms, etc., do some mental arithmetic, and then I realize the joke is on me.:bored:

I've told some people... I actually converted my Father and my wife's cousin.

What a satisfaction is teaching your own father something, isn't it?

The people who have displayed their interest in my razors the most are the guards at check-ins at airports, who usually ask me "Do you shave with this? :blink:"

My relatives have noticed, but haven't showed any interest. OTOH, my girlfriend has been fascinated by my shaving ritual, while often making fun of my "old ways", which are not limited to shaving.

A friend of mine has showed a little interest in wet-shaving, because of the savings, but after having watched him impatiently and carelessly shaving (and know I understand for what kind of users cartridge razor are intended), I didn't insist.

No more crazy than they already do. :blink: But there is no other way I can shave with my Great-grandfather's razor.

However, when I mention the straight..... :lol: :lol:

My friends think I am wretchedly cheap for shaving with DE's because my primary motivation was to pay less money per shave. I'd say the joke's on them!

... but then I look at my razors plated with rhodium, gold, and silver, my exotic creams and balms, etc., do some mental arithmetic, and then I realize the joke is on me.:bored:

ha hahahaha
me too.
:lol:

I get strange looks when I tell people I drive a manual - but I can see there's also respect there! I expect the same reaction when I mention DE though I haven't tried yet :)

When I tell non shaveaholics that I use a razor made in the 20's they think I am BRAVE and its very DANGEROUS to use :biggrin1: Then I tell em how cheap the blades are.
Wp

I'm 41, smoke a pipe, wear a patchwork Donegal hat, and listen to Dean Martin. If people didn't think I was nuts before, finding out that I DE wetshave certainly isn't going to tip the scale.

Congratulations!!! Being a lone eagle is much better than flying with a flock of crows.

And then you realize that they probably dread their next shave and wonder why they can't get a decent shave to save their life while you look forward to your shaves and look great.

Then the joke's on them. :laugh:

When I tell non shaveaholics that I use a razor made in the 20's they think I am BRAVE and its very DANGEROUS to use :biggrin1: Then I tell em how cheap the blades are.
Wp

Think about the technique they're probably using for their fusions...with that much pressure, it would be pretty dangerous to use a DE! :lol:

Top Bottom