What's new

Newbie wants to expand the razor family

My first and only razor at the moment is a Merkur Futur and I am already feeling the itch of RAD coming on... any suggestions of a "must have" razor? Looking at the SOTD thread every day is a dangerous thing...

How about one of the Super Speeds? Or if you want a milder shaver, the Gillette Techs won't hurt the wallet much either.

How aggressive do you set your Futur? If you like aggressiveness, you might try a Gillette NEW -- they tend to come cheap, and they make for great shaves.

and if you can find one in good shape there is always the Gillette Aristocrats I have a 1940-41 version and its a great shave.

As a newbie, my first recommendation for an addition to your razor arsenal would be a 40's-style Gillete Superspeed. They're well built mild shavers, very easy to master, and readily available at antique stores, flea markets, or the BST for next to nothing. I have picked up two of them from antique stores and didn't pay over $5.00 for either of them.

The added plus is that if you don't find it to your liking, they make the perfect razor to PIF to a friend or other B&B member, or you can re-sell it here on the BST and get most if not all of your money back. Besides, every DE shaver needs to have shaved with a SS at least once - perhaps the most ubiquitous DE razor in American history.

I started with a DE89 and then moved to a 55 Flair Tip SS. I found that I started getting better shaves when I switched to the SS. Maybe it's easier to learn with so you might want to consider a 40's or 50's SS. I got mine in really good shape with a case for like $20 in the B/S/T. You should be able to find one cheaper without a case and in decent user grade.

How about one of the Edwin Jagger beauties. Of my 8 razors this one is the best looking and gives a great shave. I don't know anyone who doesn't think they are great. You can get one online for around $30-35 shipped.

I have the black handled version (EJ DE86):

Last edited:
How aggressive do you set your Futur? If you like aggressiveness, you might try a Gillette NEW -- they tend to come cheap, and they make for great shaves.

I have the futur set at 2 for my first two passes (WTG and XTG) then dial it up to 4 for a final XTG pass to really smooth things out.

I have been eyeing all those vintage Gillette's and I think a SS might be in my near future:biggrin1:

Every razor on the SOTD is a razor that someone likes enough to use and to photograph. Why not make a note whenever you see a SOTD razor that appeals to you? Then when you see a razor on the B/S/T that is on your list, and that you can afford... buy it!

Top Bottom