What's new

Livi New Grinds

What's the word on the street about these? Anyone using one and have an opinion?

The review does not give much detail about the razor itself.

I sort of get that they are over priced, but a guy is getting something that Livi has worked on. Does that really mean the risk is lowered and a guy is getting a great shaver? Seems like a clean simple good shaver along the lines of a Hart.

I have a Livi custom, not a regrind, and it's seriously one of the top razors I've ever used -- balanced, sharp but forgiving, just perfect in so many ways.

I've never used or owned one of the Livi regrinds, but one person I know well has one, and he's a great guy to contact directly -- Bob Keyes. He's at www.bobsrazors.com, and I know he's had his Livi regrind for a while. He'll tell you everything you want to know about what's good or bad about them.

For what it's worth, I know that Bob got his Livi from the same place I got mine -- through the BST and the Classifieds section over at SRP. You can often get great razors this way for much less than what they are selling for new. Just keep your eyes open and you'll soon find what you're looking for.

Good luck.

Expensive but they really do take a great edge and shave well. You have to watch the fit & finish - the spine work can be sloppy.

Yup, my spine work was off and uneven and was really bummed out by it but the scales were really quite nice and didn't have any issues with that. It sure can whack the whiskers off though.

Yup, my spine work was off and uneven and was really bummed out by it but the scales were really quite nice and didn't have any issues with that. It sure can whack the whiskers off though.

Even if the razor was half the price, I'd rather have no file work on the spine than sloppy spine work. It simply inexcusable.

I'm a little worried about the unpolished grooved file work scratching up my strop also. Just seems uneven.

Anyone run in to that?

I'm a little worried about the unpolished grooved file work scratching up my strop also. Just seems uneven.

Anyone run in to that?

That was my problem, not enough to damage my strop by you can feel the little corners where it wasn't cleaned up.

I have two. They take killer edges and shave beautifully. My favorites.

Same here. I have 2 as well, they are fantastic. Havent seen "sloppy" file work, but the 2 I have are definately different, although they are both regrinds.

If you purchased them from SRD you would have received a DVD of Livi making a razor. Once you see just how they are made you will see why they are all a bit different, and that in my opinion is one of the big drawcards of these razors.

That's just rude by the so called "Master!"

If that happen with a Gold Dollar, so be it.
With a custom by a "Master"? :thumbdown:

Educate yourself guys (or whoever "wrecked" their strop should have before purchasing). A filed spine is always going to scratch up your strop a bit - a "worked" spine is generally more "finished" and smoothed out.

Thats how it was explained to me anyway.

I simply use one of my older strops with razors that have filed spines. Scratches dont actually damage the strop, other than altering its look in a way that some might be unhappy with.

Educate yourself guys (or whoever "wrecked" their strop should have before purchasing). A filed spine is always going to scratch up your strop a bit - a "worked" spine is generally more "finished" and smoothed out.

I simply use one of my older strops with razors that have filed spines. Scratches dont actually damage the strop, other than altering its look in a way that some might be unhappy with.

You should probably have it explained a little better, when you pay for something to be done right by a master razor maker then it should look like it was done by one.

I have an Ellis and JC with heavy spine filed work and it was nowhere near of having a rough edge.

Also there shouldn't be a strop to accommodate a razor that had a design flaw, that's ridiculous. Scratches may not effect the strop performance but it sure as hell makes a cordovan strop like crap that some may be able to live with but not most.

You should probably have it explained a little better, when you pay for something to be done right by a master razor maker then it should look like it was done by one.

I have an Ellis and JC with heavy spine filed work and it was nowhere near of having a rough edge.

Also there shouldn't be a strop to accommodate a razor that had a design flaw, that's ridiculous. Scratches may not effect the strop performance but it sure as hell makes a cordovan strop like crap that some may be able to live with but not most.

Thats your opinion - many would disagree with you. Depends on the type of file work as to the finish and whether it scratches the strop.

I have one and it is FANTASTIC :thumbup1:. Now, are there razors that are equally good? of course. However, I bought the Livi mainly because of its looks. it is a great looking blade. The custom ones go for >$1,000. So, $300 ain't all that bad for a great looking (and shaving) blade, IMO...if you've got $300 to spare.

I've heard they're great shavers, but don't think I'll ever spend my money on one of those.

How is it that many consider it crazy to pay 250 for a Puma, Filarmonica, or Wonderedge (all of which are amazing shavers, especially the Pumas), but not many seem to question paying 300 bucks for a simple round point with a mediocre satin finish? I'm new to buffing and that's how my satin finishes look when I buff razors...the Livi customs are definitely really nice and have a great rustic look to them (never owned one), but the regrinds just look boring and sloppy.

Just my opinion...

By educate yourself, do you mean learn what a scratch is? Because none of my razors with file worked spines have scratched my strops. So I must be unable to spot a scratch. Better get my eyes checked.

The point is that many of us expect better fit and finish on a $300+ razor. If you don't mind paying top dollar for sloppy work, that is your prerogative. But don't imply that those who have higher standards are ignorant.

Last edited:
Top Bottom