What's new

Medicine Cabinet Blade Slot

So I used the blade slot at the back of my medicine cabinet today for the first time. Kind of felt funny about putting a blade in there. Anyone else experience this?

No, but remember the slot in the medicine cabinet at home 40 years ago. Could warehouse a lot of old blades there. Would not bother me a bit to start a DE blade graveyard behind the wall. Cheers.

seeing this thread and realizing this house was built in the 50s made me want to check the medicine cabinet and yep... there it was hiding behind a box of bandaids

now that i think about it i've noticed the slot before but it never really clicked what it was for... my father rarely shaved and when he did it was with a disposable (at least that i can remember) so i never saw the slot in action... i wonder how many rusted blades reside in the wall

if i ever run out of room in the blade banks on my dispensers i may make use of the slot

Last edited:
I have a slot in the back of my medicine cabinet in my apartment. I haven't really been tempted to use it, but I have been tempted to take the cabinet out of the wall to see what's back there.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I have a slot in the back of my medicine cabinet in my apartment. I haven't really been tempted to use it, but I have been tempted to take the cabinet out of the wall to see what's back there.

A mint Kro-Man still in the wrapper, no doubt!!

:lol:

I have done a few remodels and I can tell you from experience in most cases about 12 to 18 inches below that slot is a board put in between the studs and that catches all the blades... there is usually a very big pile of rusted out blades that are impossible to deal with. and once you have taken out the cabinet you will have to deal with all those blades before you can put the cabinet back in. The board was put in because below that the water lines go through the wall there and they didn't want the blades to accumulate on them causing a leak in the future.

One of the hospitals in my area still has slots for razor blades in the bathrooms. When my father in law was in there last time , I was going to bring a couple old blades with me just to experience putting a blade in one.

I have that slot in my medi cab. I think it goes down to hell cause whenever I drop a blade down there I hear a faint screech.

i'm considering dropping my next blade down the slot for that very reason... just to say i did

just one more part of the old school shaving experience

My house was built in 1963 and both cabinets had them. Only the one in "my" bathroom remains and everytime I change the blade in the slot it goes. I dropped them there when I first started shaving in the 1970's and it was way cool to be able to drop them in there again when I gave up cartridges. Now that we are re-modeling "my" bathroom the hunt for a new medicine cabinet with a slot has thus far been unsuccessful. I just going to restore the present one.

Mike

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
My house was built in 1963 and both cabinets had them. Only the one in "my" bathroom remains and everytime I change the blade in the slot it goes. I dropped them there when I first started shaving in the 1970's and it was way cool to be able to drop them in there again when I gave up cartridges. Now that we are re-modeling "my" bathroom the hunt for a new medicine cabinet with a slot has thus far been unsuccessful. I just going to restore the present one.

Mike

If you shop around you can sometimes find the old brass face plates that were used in Hotels and mount that on the wall.
Alternatively, I have seen a standard wall tile with a slot cut from the rear with an abrasive wheel and mounted on the wall as well.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Yup, the house I grew up in had one. Dad put all of his used blades down the slot, and when I started shaving I did also.

Dang, that has been a few...decades ago. I wonder if those old carbon blades just rusted into a pile of dust.

Top Bottom