What's new

Old Spice Confusion

I am aware that Proctor & Gamble purchased the Old Spice company from Shulton some years back. I have also followed the threads that speak of the apparent change in fragrance since the change over.

Where my confusion comes in is that there are products labeled Old Spice that are made in India that are different from those made in the USA. Two examples that come to mind are Old Spice Fresh Lime after shave and Old Spice shaving cream in a tube.

Has Procter & Gamble licensed the name to the company in India or if not, just how is this set up?

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
In 1990 P&G purchased the Brand from Shulton.

I don't know who manufactured and marketed Old Spice in India up to 1993, but in 1993, Old Spice was manufactured and marketed by Marico Industries under license from P&G.

That license expired in 2002 and the license to manufacture and market Old Spice under the Shulton name was given to Menezes Cosmetics Private Ltd. by P&G

The license with Menezes expires in 2012.

In 1990 P&G purchased the Brand from Shulton.

I don't know who manufactured and marketed Old Spice in India up to 1993, but in 1993, Old Spice was manufactured and marketed by Marico Industries under license from P&G.

That license expired in 2002 and the license to manufacture and market Old Spice under the Shulton name was given to Menezes Cosmetics Private Ltd. by P&G

The license with Menezes expires in 2012.

Great explanation Phil...Thanks!

Hello Happy New Years! Im from Canada,all the stores were closed yesterday so i decided to go state side shopping as the keep their stores open. I regularly go to a indian food mart always hoping to find old spice shaving cream. Ive found Godjery Dettol and yesterday i found Old Spice!!!! I was happy to see it. I opened the tube give it a smell, the old familiar smell just isnt there. i will give it a test run later today.

The Vijon version of Old Spice (sold in Family Dollar stores as "Spice" for $2 per bottle) is relatively close to the original. I like it and use it a lot. You can't beat the price either.

The original Old Spice is essentially gone unless you can find it on the auction site. The best we can do is use something vaguely similar and remember the good old days. :mad3:

The Vijon version of Old Spice (sold in Family Dollar stores as "Spice" for $2 per bottle) is relatively close to the original. I like it and use it a lot. You can't beat the price either.

The original Old Spice is essentially gone unless you can find it on the auction site. The best we can do is use something vaguely similar and remember the good old days. :mad3:

I too have the Vijon version and I like the scent. But it lasts maybe 2-3 hours as opposed to the P&G version which lasts all day.

About one month ago I hit some Indian grocery stores and thankfully they had the old stock non P&G Old Spice shaving cream. I also grabbed a few bottles of Shulton non P&G after shave too made December 2012 which I can guess it was the very tail end of production before P&G started to make it themselves. The P&G old spice version is good too but I wanted to get the Shulton version because it`s on the rare side.

Has anyone tried Stirling Soap's version of Old Spice? how does that compare? or any other version of old spice besides the Dollar store version?

$necromancer.jpg

Top Bottom