What's new

Sharpening knives - edge trailing or leading?

I learned to sharpen on waterstones using an edge trailing stroke (more or less self-taught from the Korin DVD from Sugai-san). Over the years, I have seen people using edge-leading strokes also, and I have been experimenting a bit lately. I am starting to think the edge quality is better edge-leading, but then again there is lots of variability in what I do. Any thoughts from other sharpeners or our resident experts Dave and Jon?

Hi Scotto, there's been a ton of talk and thought on this over the last few years. This subject is also discussed quite frequently on a professional sharpening level as well. What seems standard is that no one agrees. :001_smile

I hand sharpen edge leading because I find it easier - not because of edge quality that results from doing so. I can also sharpen edge trailing as well and find the cutting edge results the same. What I think matters is the direction of the edge that you leave on the knife. If you finish with the micro-teeth pointing forward then a thrusting cut works best and vice-versa for the pull cut. This is just like teeth on a saw blade.

I do notice that when I sharpen a cleaver or nakiri where I go straight down the length of the stone (on it's edge) that the knife doesn't cut worth a crap until I make a pass either edge trailing or leading OR I strop the knife. This is showing the teeth are folded in a direction along the edge as in flattened out. This is where I began to look at edge direction in finishing.

Anyway, that's my $0.02, let's here some other opinions.

Dave

When I was a kid, I could put a good edge on a knife in a heartbeat and I used a circular motion, going from the tip all the way to the hilt.

When I got to college, I "learned better" and started using an edge forward motion and I don't think I ever got a knife that I could really shave with (my arm) again.

About the same time knives switched from predominately carbon steel to stainless and that may have been part of the problem too.

Now for my kitchen knives, I bought a Tormek and I am happy as a clam.

I do both... works well for me. I also tend to finish by stropping with edge trailing motions on either finishing stones or strops.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Edge leading or edge trailing?

I follow the words of that great American thespian, Larry Holmes: Boff.

Since it's easier to maintain the angle than it is to establish it, going up and down the stone simplifies matters, and will incorporate both strokes. Of the two, I think the edge trailing may be the more important, but I wouldn't swear to it. I use slightly more pressure on the edge trailing stroke, but never so much as to violate the "let the tool do the work" principle. This is especially true with any diamond plates or very hard stones- pressing down seems to be counterproductive.

A more important consideration may be how you hold the knife- edge facing you or edge facing away. If you use the "one handed" method and are right handed, the edge will face you when sharpening the front (right) side of the blade and will face away from you when sharpening the back (left) side. When I sharpen with two hands, the edge always faces me, as I find I have better control.

Ultimately, I think the best results are produced whenever the blade road is flat against the stone, however that may be accomplshed.

Different strokes............

Edge leading or edge trailing?

I follow the words of that great American thespian, Larry Holmes: Boff.

Since it's easier to maintain the angle than it is to establish it, going up and down the stone simplifies matters, and will incorporate both strokes. Of the two, I think the edge trailing may be the more important, but I wouldn't swear to it. I use slightly more pressure on the edge trailing stroke, but never so much as to violate the "let the tool do the work" principle. This is especially true with any diamond plates or very hard stones- pressing down seems to be counterproductive.

A more important consideration may be how you hold the knife- edge facing you or edge facing away. If you use the "one handed" method and are right handed, the edge will face you when sharpening the front (right) side of the blade and will face away from you when sharpening the back (left) side. When I sharpen with two hands, the edge always faces me, as I find I have better control.

Ultimately, I think the best results are produced whenever the blade road is flat against the stone, however that may be accomplshed.

Different strokes............

ummm.... yeah.... what he said :thumbup:

Top Bottom