What's new

How long does a badger brush need to dry between uses?

Just wondered what people thought.

I think I read you should use a boar every other day because it needs extra time to dry.

My badger always feels dry even when I use it every day.

They dry a lot faster and using every day is not a problem, right?

Thanks

You can use it ever day. After I use one of mine , I squeeze the bristles with a towel and brush the bristles on a towel to dry it. It will dry in a few hours.

you can use it day by day if it has time to dry out.

a very good excuse for a couple of brushes though :biggrin:

I assume a lot of environmental variables apply.

Here in AZ the brush is dry extremely quickly; max half a day. I have never noticed a wet brush except right after shaving.

I think I read you should use a boar every other day because it needs extra time to dry.

My badger always feels dry even when I use it every day.

They dry a lot faster and using every day is not a problem, right?
That was proably one of my posts. But I never said should, or that it has to be a boar (I just found that more affordable than buying another badger).

But it depends on the density of your brush and your climate/bathroom temp. I live in a hot part of the world, but my brush won't dry in 24hrs during winter, so I got a back up boar. Since then 2 more, but that's another story...

I pride myself on not treating my kit like they're kids, but a $100 brush isn't something I want to replace. My first was returned for shedding, prima donnas that they are...

According to a marvelous article I read about boar brushes, boar actually holds water because it's somewhat absorbed, where badger doesn't actually absorb water. My boar always takes longer, where as multiple types of badger (best, finest, silvertip) all dry very quickly.

My badger brush is always dry the next morning.

Same here.

Back in the days of yore when wet shaving was common, I don't remember my Grandfather having a rotation of brushes, razors, etc.
He shaved, and next morning he shaved again.

Simple. Just the way I like it. :laugh:

Don't get me wrong: It's fun having different razors, soaps, aftershaves, etc. I am an admitted aftershave junkie myself. But when it gets down to it, a nice, enjoyable shave is all I really want. :001_smile

Back in the days of yore when wet shaving was common, I don't remember my Grandfather having a rotation of brushes, razors, etc.
He shaved, and next morning he shaved again.

Doe's it really matter if it's dry the next day? It's gonna get wet again right?

I really don't pay attention since I live in Arizona. I do have two brushes, one boar and one badger, but I don't rotate them daily.

According to a marvelous article I read about boar brushes, boar actually holds water because it's somewhat absorbed, where badger doesn't actually absorb water. My boar always takes longer, where as multiple types of badger (best, finest, silvertip) all dry very quickly.

My drying time experience disagrees with that article, in that the situation is reversed. Just another example of mileage variance.

My experiences in a part of the world known for variable humidity (Atlanta) agree with yours. I shake brushes as dry as possible and air them thoroughly, but my boars are still damp the next day. Badgers...it depends on knot size and density. Feeling up the Tulip T2 24 hours later, still a tad damp. Duke 1 would have been dry. Wee Scot dries quite quickly.

- Bill

Top Bottom