What's new

Beginner Straight Razor from DE

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I have not dealt with him personally, but you'll see man members recommending Larry Andro for rank beginners.

All you need to see if this is for you is a simple but serviceable straight razor that's ready to go, and a strop.

I have not dealt with him personally, but you'll see man members recommending Larry Andro for rank beginners.

All you need to see if this is for you is a simple but serviceable straight razor that's ready to go, and a strop.

Larry is a good guy he will get you going cheap.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
A used razor from either Sheffield or Solingen (make sure it has one of those two names on the tang) will do you well. There are many other excellent options, but trying to remember all those brand names ... fugedaboutit. Just stick with "S or S" for now.

Get it from a reputable source (vendor or expert member here) whom you know will have it in good shape and honed properly, or send it to a honemeister for a thorough tune-up.

Edit: I don't know Larry Andro either, but if he is a good vendor, and if he recommends a specific blade that is not "S or S", then I'd say go for it.

+1 on Larry Andro for a beginner... he usually has a number of reconditioned straights that have not gone through a complete reconditioning, some patina may remain, but completely shave ready, and you don't have to dish out a lot of cash. I got my first "Quick & Easy" with an older 'Russian' traditional strop from Larry and some easy to follow instructions / guide on how to transition to straights easier.

Larry or the bst, loads of info on here, also ask away, members on here a very up on anything to do with straight razors.

Top Bottom