What's new

Best Shampoo for dry/itchy scalp?

I have dry/itchy scalp but no dandruff and have mulled over different sample shampoos with no remedy. I've tried cheap organic tea-tree from the local co-op to expensive Aveda mens shampoo (way too over priced). The only stuff that works well is the shampoo my stylist uses when I get a haircut, but at $38 a bottle it's way too expensive. I like the tingly, cooling sensation stuff.

I'm considering trying the Baxter line or Redkin Mint Clean...Any other suggestions?

No cooling, but I had itchy scalp plus dandruff for years and years that was not solved by any type of shampoo and it has gone away completely by switching to a shampoo bar from www.mysticwatersoaps.com. This shampoo bar has lots of nice hydrating goodies and even includes some argan oil.

I haven't used any other shampoo or any conditioner since I started using it. My hair and scalp are very healthy now. Highly recommended.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Coal tar soap is/was incredibly effective but you can't buy it any longer in the nanny state. I think you can still order it from England - their nanny apparently missed it. It smells of the old cloth friction tape but I came to love it.

You can buy Pine Tar soap at Whole Foods but it isn't as good - smells about the same though.

You should try Primrose & Lavender Scalp-Soothing Shampoo from Aubrey Organics. This is an organic shampoo and I think it will help your scalp condition.
You can get it from iherb.com for a nice price, just enter the IRO586 coupon code and you will get a $5 discount for the first purchase. With the discount, the shampoo will cost less than $7.

No cooling, but I had itchy scalp plus dandruff for years and years that was not solved by any type of shampoo and it has gone away completely by switching to a shampoo bar from www.mysticwatersoaps.com. This shampoo bar has lots of nice hydrating goodies and even includes some argan oil.

I haven't used any other shampoo or any conditioner since I started using it. My hair and scalp are very healthy now. Highly recommended.

Which one/s did you use?

I too have had dry scalp/dandruff for as long as I can remember and eagerly await your reply!

Have you tried the dandruff shampoos you can get from Target and similar places? I have fairly dry scalp, not itching like you described though, and I use the cheap Target brand dandruff shampoo and it seems to work well for me.

Which one/s did you use?

I too have had dry scalp/dandruff for as long as I can remember and eagerly await your reply!

She only makes one shampoo bar. Just call the number on the website and order it.

I just got two more of them, and started my 17-year-old on it, too. Best thing I've ever found for dry, itchy scalp. :thumbup1:

She only makes one shampoo bar. Just call the number on the website and order it.

I just got two more of them, and started my 17-year-old on it, too. Best thing I've ever found for dry, itchy scalp. :thumbup1:

This is great! I am glad I found this. Thank you a millions times.

-Crisp:biggrin1:

Will let you know how I get on, cheers for your help!

Ordered myself a couple of bars.

Looking forward to them arriving in the mail.

Excellent. I think you're going to like them.

Make sure the bar drains well/dries between uses, and keep it out of the shower as much as possible to maximize how long it lasts.

Head & Shoulders dry scalp shampoo w/ almond oil has been great for me. I had no dandruff but was always scratching my head due to the dryness. H&S stopped the dryness in only a few days use.

I used it last night.

Rubbed the bar over my wet hair and lathered it up with my hands then rinsed it off. Not sure how to use a soap bar tbh.

I didnt want to immediately come on here and say "YES, THIS IS THE MIRACLE CURE" after one use but it does seem to have genuinely helped.

I have a bad habit of scratching my head while stretched out on the sofa while watching tv and yesterday I was watching tv and the large flakes of dry scalp/dandruff just dont seem as present.

It seems that the dry scalp/dandruff just hasnt built up and been left on my head. Basically I can honestly see that a soap residue hasnt been left behind as much.

I used it last night.

Rubbed the bar over my wet hair and lathered it up with my hands then rinsed it off. Not sure how to use a soap bar tbh.

I didnt want to immediately come on here and say "YES, THIS IS THE MIRACLE CURE" after one use but it does seem to have genuinely helped.

I have a bad habit of scratching my head while stretched out on the sofa while watching tv and yesterday I was watching tv and the large flakes of dry scalp/dandruff just dont seem as present.

It seems that the dry scalp/dandruff just hasnt built up and been left on my head. Basically I can honestly see that a soap residue hasnt been left behind as much.

My two bars came as well. Fantastic. I don't think I will be using store bought shampoo ever again. I find that the vineger rinse (or you can use Dr.Bronner concentrate conditioner) helps bring your hair back to feeling "normal" or a bit more slippery. Don't really have to use it, but I had the Bronners around...works a charm with the Soap Bar. The MysticWaters Soap bar.:thumbup:

-Crisp

Top Bottom