What's new

Best Shampoo for dry/itchy scalp?

It's funny how things go around in a circle. SLS and the SLES were made to reduce soap scum (especially in hard water) and to prevent the need of the vinegar rinse. So it's not surprising we see the return of the vinegar rinse!

Glad to see the Crisp and duotone are enjoying their Mystic Waters shampoo bars. duotone, if you're like me, you'll notice the itching and flaking decreasing over time even more.

Don't think I'll be using liquid shampoo again for a long, long time (if ever). I've never done a vinegar rinse. I just make sure I rinse my hair out really well.

It's funny how things go around in a circle. SLS and the SLES were made to reduce soap scum (especially in hard water) and to prevent the need of the vinegar rinse. So it's not surprising we see the return of the vinegar rinse!

They were made to make companies rich, and money is all they care. They don't care about your hair, my hair or anyone's else hair.

These ingredients can be a Godsend for people who live in hard water areas. They can be too strong and irritating in soft water areas and as I said before, if you are on a budget, just dilute them 50/50 with water.

SLS and SLES are similar. They have a ( lipophilic) end attached to a sulfate group (hydrophilic).

Lipophhilic---fat loving. Hydrophilic---water loving. One end attaches to the oil and the water loving end allows water to wisk the oil away without redepositing the oil.

I have zero problems with people wanting to use a soap product or whatever product they want. My problem is blanket statements made that SLS and SLES are bad.

Fortunately I haven't had any need to use a vinegar rinse despite using a shampoo bar and living within a hard water area. I hope that continues. If I had to use a vinegar rinse I might abandon the shampoo bars completely.

My problem is blanket statements made that SLS and SLES are bad.

How about this? SLS and SLES are bad for ME, personally.

I agree that there are many people who don't have a problem with those ingredients, but I sure do; for me, the shampoo bar is a godsend.

I used to work with people that sweated pure vinegar it seemed. Probably didn't help they didn't shower, but let's just say I can't eat Salt & Vinegar chips anymore. For your nose's sake and others' don't use that... Use the vinegar for the shrimp instead.

Listen, what worked for me is taking bodybuilding multivitamins + fish oil (am/pm dose) (more potent than drugstore multi and has better absorption rate) + Selsun Blue medicated. I know that the multivitamin/fish oil is a huge part because before I had to use Selsun Blue every damn day or else itch/flake city (I tried on/off stopping), as well as use it as a body wash for sometime for an upper body skin infection that just didn't want to go away. Give it a shot

Last edited:
Listen, what worked for me is taking bodybuilding multivitamins + fish oil (am/pm dose) (more potent than drugstore multi and has better absorption rate) + Selsun Blue medicated. I know that the multivitamin/fish oil is a huge part because before I had to use Selsun Blue every damn day or else itch/flake city (I tried on/off stopping), as well as use it as a body wash for sometime for an upper body skin infection that just didn't want to go away. Give it a shot

I was taking fish oil supplements already and still had a major seborrhea problem, requiring Selsun Blue or Nizoral at least twice a week. After switching to the shampoo bar, I am now using Selsun Blue maybe once a month or so.

I'm thinking you weren't taking enough of the supplements, and using a less potent brand? If you are only taking 1 or 2 a day you aren't going to be getting nothing out of it since the epa/dha fatty acid content isn't going to be high enough for the already persistent problem, but if the bar is working that's good. The itchy/dry scalp and skin infections comes down to nutrient/vitamin deficiencies, I have no doubt in my mind. It had a lot to do with the multivitamins daily too as well as the fatty acids. I only take 4 pills total am, 4 pills total pm, but they are potent. Taking the normal drugstore recommended dose is normally not even close to enough since the quality isn't as high. You might need more water intake also. I drink a gallon of water daily.

I look at it like this. Water is the plate, Multis are the cake, Oils are the Icing, Sulsun is the sprinkles.

Last edited:
I think some recent studies have shown that people who take multivitamins don't live as long as people who don't. As far as fish oil...yes that could be great and it probably is great...but it's so much easier to take a baby aspirin or two a day (check with your doctor first). But I'm not knocking fish oil as I understand it can have multiple benefits.

If your purpose is to "moisturize" the inside of your body with oil, just take a half tablespoon of corn oil every day. It's a lot cheaper than fish oil. That should oil you up pretty good.

Anywho....you will absorb those nutrients so much better from your food. Not that healthy food is cheap these days, but it's cheaper than the cost of multivitamins.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against vitamins. I'm just skeptical of the multivitamin (unless you're pregnant).

As far as the Mystic Waters shampoo bar, if Kingfisher recommends it I'm sure it's excellent. When I cut in with my vinegar comment above it seemed like I was directing it to the shampoo bar itself and I didn't intend to do that, so please accept my apology on that.

Last edited:
.... As far as fish oil...yes that could be great and it probably is great...but it's so much easier to take a baby aspirin or two a day (check with your doctor first). But I'm not knocking fish oil as I understand it can have multiple benefits.
I take a baby aspirin, too.
The fish oil does probably have a litany of benefits. It is said to help prevent Alzheizmer's, it decreases heart attacks, it helps to maintain a healthier lipid balance, and it helps prevent blockage of the glands in your eyelids, among a bunch of other things.

If your purpose is to "moisturize" the inside of your body with oil, just take a half tablespoon of corn oil every day. It's a lot cheaper than fish oil. That should oil you up pretty good.
As above, the point isn't really just the oil, but the type of oil. Corn oil would not be anywhere near the same.

Anywho....you will absorb those nutrients so much better from your food. Not that healthy food is cheap these days, but it's cheaper than the cost of multivitamins.
Certainly true that nutrients gained from the diet are better than those added in as supplements.

As far as the Mystic Waters shampoo bar, if Kingfisher recommends it I'm sure it's excellent. When I cut in with my vinegar comment above it seemed like I was directing it to the shampoo bar itself and I didn't intend to do that, so please accept my apology on that.
No harm, no foul.

And just because I like it doesn't mean others will necessarily like it; as we all know around here: YMMV. But, I really do think it's an outstanding product.

You have a lot to learn about supplements BCatl. You absolutely can not get the same amount in food daily. You would have to constantly eat healthy food the whole day, and that's not good; plus you wouldn't get the same amount anyway and would be lacking some essentials. Corn oil isn't even on the same planet as fish oil at all, and I don't see any point in taking that. It's not about the word "oil" here, it's about the epa/dha content that's in marine life that is so beneficial here. You can't get nearly the same amount as just eating say fish (although, if you ate a large portion of fish 3x/wk I'd say you really don't need to take fish oil). However, eating it raw would be a much higher portion of it. Then again, you have the basic uncooked food issues which aren't good.

And multi users living shorter lives? Did you here these studies from someone's blog or something? Not a knock at you at all, but that's a load of bs. Saying an Aspirin is better, really..? I'd personally rather take cayenne pepper than aspirin daily. I'll only take an aspirin if I'm really sore.

..... I'd personally rather take cayenne pepper than aspirin daily. I'll only take an aspirin if I'm really sore.

Um, the aspirin is a low-dose aspirin (81 mg) and it's not to relieve pain, it's to prevent platelets from aggregating. It lowers the risk of heart attack.

Um, the aspirin is a low-dose aspirin (81 mg) and it's not to relieve pain, it's to prevent platelets from aggregating. It lowers the risk of heart attack.

I should have stated I was talking about a regular dose in the last portion of that. Seeing that now, I'd still prefer to take cayenne pepper over a baby aspirin, it prevents clots as well, plus I like me some spiciness :). Another reason is because you can bruise much more easily when taking sufficient amounts of fish oil + some aspirin daily(baby here).

Last edited:
So has anyone ever done a vinegar rinse? And does it work? Never heard of that one but I'm now curious...

I have not tried the vineger rinse, however I DO have some Dr.Bronner Shikakai Hair rinse. This stuff is concentrated citrus goodness! I imagine the effect the Dr.Bronner rinse has is the same as a vineger rinse. Acetic acid vs Citric acid. From what I understand, your hair is a bit high on the ph meter when after cleaning it with a soap. The vineger or Dr.Bronner rinse helps neutralize your ph.

Initially, I considered this entire rinsing business to be a bunch of nonsense.

HOWEVER!

After using a shampoo bar (or Dr.Bronner Castile Soap) on my hair, it feels matted and tangly. The rinse makes it feel normal again. I don't believe it is a must. But it is cool!

:thumbup:

Last edited:
Try this just once or twice a week:

OLIVE OIL. Massage it into your scalp and let it sit for a good hour (over night if you can stand it)

Then shampoo it off...

Since you don't have dandruff you should now have a moisturized scalp.

Top Bottom