What's new

Anyone try the new knots from TGN?

Am finally looking to get around to doing some of my brush restores and noticed TGN is carrying some new knots. Specifically they have a 22mm Super Silvertip that seems to be a grade above the silvertip grade A. Anyone have any experience with this?

Also notice they now carry a monster 30mm Silvertip Grade A Brush. I might have to see if I have a handle that I can get that beast into.

I've used Grade A and found it to be a very good knot, especially considering the price. Same for Super - slightly softer tips but pretty similar all around. I feel like that's been around for quite a while - unless the BULB shape is new.

I've used Grade A and found it to be a very good knot, especially considering the price. Same for Super - slightly softer tips but pretty similar all around. I feel like that's been around for quite a while - unless the BULB shape is new.

If you go to there silvertip section at the very bottom they have the new knot (listed right below the 30mm Silvertip A). It appears to be different from both the Silvertip A and also the separate Super knots.

Edit: here is a link to the knot in question
http://www.thegoldennib.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9_42&products_id=436

Last edited:
If you go to there silvertip section at the very bottom they have the new knot (listed right below the 30mm Silvertip A). It appears to be different from both the Silvertip A and also the separate Super knots.

Edit: here is a link to the knot in question
http://www.thegoldennib.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9_42&products_id=436

I've been looking at that one too.
I see it is a 21.5mm knot, but has a hair tuft, above the knot, of 23.75mm. So what size handle? 22mm? Or 24?
I'm confused.
I'm really interested though since tgn claims it's the softest knot they have.

Once I get a few more bills paid I may have to try that super silvertip (I have got a few 22-24mm handles that need knots). And I may have to get a custom handle and try that 30mm grade A too.

I've been looking at that one too.
I see it is a 21.5mm knot, but has a hair tuft, above the knot, of 23.75mm. So what size handle? 22mm? Or 24?
I'm confused.
I'm really interested though since tgn claims it's the softest knot they have.

You would need at least a 24 mm opening. If you're going to set it deep, you might need a 25 mm opening. You might want to email Tony at TGN to make sure, though.

Once I get a few more bills paid I may have to try that super silvertip (I have got a few 22-24mm handles that need knots). And I may have to get a custom handle and try that 30mm grade A too.

+1 you just stole the words out of my mouth. Though I dont have the handles :lol:

What loft would you set that 30mm monster at anyway? 67mm seems a bit high.

Last edited:
I had a custom brush made from a 22 super silver, I found it to be not near as soft or as much backbone as the finest 2 band. I sold it after a few weeks.

I had a custom brush made from a 22 super silver, I found it to be not near as soft or as much backbone as the finest 2 band. I sold it after a few weeks.

Was it the knot from the link I posted? I'm pretty sure this is pretty new as 2 weeks ago when I was going to get around to doing my restores they didn't have that knot.

Although if I keep delaying my restores who knows what they will have.

Honestly though, after getting the email from Bernd today that my custom 2-band D01 has been shipped, no other brush appeals to me at the moment (though Rudy is doing a little Kent BK4 surgery for me...). Just have a huge area of handles sitting around that I need to do something with.

oh sorry no it was the fan shaped one that I had, dude you have to show me that brush when you get it. Your going to love it! Im getting a new shavemac custom dont know the loft yet though. :thumbup1:

oh sorry no it was the fan shaped one that I had, dude you have to show me that brush when you get it. Your going to love it! Im getting a new shavemac custom dont know the loft yet though. :thumbup1:

nice! what knot are you getting? I thought your D01 was be all end all brush :biggrin1:

+1 you just stole the words out of my mouth. Though I dont have the handles :lol:

What loft would you set that 30mm monster at anyway? 67mm seems a bit high.

I'd test it at a few and see where I liked it. My guess is mid 50's is where it'll end up. Low 50's if it's not especially densely packed.

Well I broke down and ordered one. Set it at 44mm loft.

This is a very good knot. I compared it to my UK Super 21/44 and think that this knot is actually softer than the UK. Not as dense though, but not a problem as I set this knot pretty low in loft.

I can't remember what the Silvertip A feels like as I sold mine, but think that this is a step up.

Not as soft as the UK Silvertip, though not many brushes are as that knot is one of my favorites.

Top Bottom