What's new

Are there any Rye drinkers here?

Now that fall is in the offing, I was thinking of having a splash of Rye Whiskey in the not so distant future. I developed a taste for it some time ago and still enjoy a splash from time to time. My last bottle of 100 proof Old Overholt got drained about a year ago so I am now drinking their present offering of 80 proof. It is not bad... but it is different. I have had a bottle of Rittenhouse a while back and if my memory serves me correctly, it was 100 proof as well and a fine drink. At the moment I am unable to recall some of the other brands that I enjoyed but I do know that some are no longer available as the taste for Rye whiskey wained. I read that it may be making somewhat of a comeback as the popularity of brown goods increases.

Any other thoughts on Rye?

Doug

I drink a lot of rye, both Canadian and otherwise. However, most of the Canadian "rye" whiskies aren't true ryes but are blended to have that "rye" taste. If you want a good and inexpensive Canadian 100% rye to taste, try Alberta Springs or Alberta Premium. They're both good but the Alberta Springs is a little more smoother to the throat.

As for other types of rye, if you can find a bottle of Black Maple Hill 23 year old, snap it up immediately. No excuses. This is an excellent rye and is worth the money. Sazerac 18 year is another one I tried and liked as well. If you find some of that, it's worth a look.

best "bang for the buck" in terms of quality/price is Wild Turkey 101 to my palate. I like Rittenhouse Bottled in Bond at 100 proof, but ony in cocktails. Straight, it has a resiny/sappy character that I just can't get used to. Sazerac is good too and comes in a cool old-fashioned bottle.

I'm a big fan of rye too. Rittenhouse BIB, Rittenhouse 21, 23, or 25 year olds, Sazerac 18, Baby Sazerac, and Van Winkle 13 Year Old Rye are all top notch.

Rittenhouse BIB is great stuff and the price is right - $18 around here. Wild Turkey rye is not bad either and readily available throughout the US. "Baby" Sazerac is good, but a little overpriced IMHO (especially when compared to Rittenhouse). Personally, I find just about all ryes are better in cocktails than sipping straight or on the rocks, however, the high end stuff like Thomas Handy can give any fine spirit a run for its money. :thumbup1:

Here's how I consume vast quantities of rye:

Frisco Sour

2 oz rye
1 oz Benedictine
lemon peel slice

Shake the rye, Benectine, and lemon peel thoroughly and strain into cocktail glass. Garnish with a fresh twist.

Instead of shaking it with a twist, you can use lemon and/or lime juice (use no more than 1/4 oz each), but I like the subtle citrusy element the shaken peel provides.

Gentlemen, I can use some advice: I have been gifted a bottle of 1956 Canadien Club, 90% full - considering its age, how should I enjoy this?
Or does its age not matter?
Thanks -

I enjoy Templeton's when I have it. The bottle doesn't seem to last long though. Maybe there's an evaporation problem with the bottle or something? :biggrin1:

Gentlemen, I can use some advice: I have been gifted a bottle of 1956 Canadien Club, 90% full - considering its age, how should I enjoy this?
Or does its age not matter?
Thanks -
Since it has been opened, it may have lost some of its flavour or potency if some alcohol has evaporated. Traditionally, it is assumed that aging stops once whisky is removed from the barrel. However, there are those that believe that oxygen slowly interacts with the whisky to mellow it somewhat. No seal is perfect so some oxygenation will occur. If a bottle is corked with a wooden cork, it will oxidize over time. It is this oxidation that is used to explain why older whiskies of the same brand seem to taste better than the newer bottlings. Regardless, this is would be an extremely slow process.

Presuming that that cork that sealed the bottle was in fairly good shape, your whisky should be in fine form. Enjoy it as you would any other whisky. All whiskies will deteriorate eventually, so enjoy it within 6 to 8 months once you begin drinking it, especially when its volume falls below the halfway mark. It's not like milk that spoils but the flavour profile can start to change noticeably, more so if you have a sensitive palette.

Last edited:
Since it has been opened, it may have lost some of its flavour or potency if some alcohol has evaporated. Traditionally, it is assumed that aging stops once whisky is removed from the barrel. However, there are those that believe that oxygen slowly interacts with the whisky to mellow it somewhat. No seal is perfect so some oxygenation will occur. If a bottle is corked with a wooden cork, it will oxidize over time. It is this oxidation that is used to explain why older whiskies of the same brand seem to taste better than the newer bottlings. Regardless, this is would be an extremely slow process.

Presuming that that cork that sealed the bottle was in fairly good shape, your whisky should be in fine form. Enjoy it as you would any other whisky. All whiskies will deteriorate eventually, so enjoy it within 6 to 8 months once you begin drinking it, especially and its volume falls below the halfway mark. It's not like milk that spoils but the flavour profile can start to change noticeably, more so if you have a sensitive palette.

thank you!

For blended ryes Crown Royal is very good and not too expensive. Makes a great manhattan.

For me the ultimate down-to-earth drink is Seagrams 7.

A 7 & 7 and a steak sandwich in the winter is just about the best.

Frisco Sour looks like a good drink. Throw in some Peychaud's bitters to make it more Sazerac like as an experiment.

There is a Rye Whiskey RUSSELS RESERVE that I enjoy and is priced right. There is a boutique "RI" that just doesn't do it for me.

Also, Jim Beam Rye doesn't taste like RYE. What is the deal with that one??!!

-Crisp

I agree Crisp. RI was not a pleasant experience and Jim Beam did not indeed, taste like Rye to my palate.

Doug

I enjoy Sazarac 6 year, Rittenhouse Bottled in Bond, and Russell's in an old fashioned or the Sazerac cocktail. When it comes to rye cocktails that are more heavily mixed (like a Manhattan or Suburban), I honestly like Wild Turkey Rye quite a bit. It is more peppery, which means it is less smooth, but this also allows the rye to remain prominent in the cocktail instead of being overpowered. This can happen especially easily with a Suburban.

I agree with the above statements on RI, it's not my favorite and I think there are better options for a better price.

I am pretty sure Sazerac 18 was just awarded Jim Murray's "Whiskey of the Year" award in the latest edition of the Whiskey Bible. I will have to verify this, though. IMHO this rye is for sipping, not mixing, for the same reason I wouldn't use an great $80 to $100 Scotch, Armagnac, Cognac in cocktails.

I'm glad to see others out there who like rye! It is an under-appreciated spirit. Good to be part of B&B:001_smile.

Also, thanks for this recipe. I plan to give one a try tonight! Mixing the Benedictine with rye sounds like it will be great :thumbup1:

Here's how I consume vast quantities of rye:

Frisco Sour

2 oz rye
1 oz Benedictine
lemon peel slice

Shake the rye, Benectine, and lemon peel thoroughly and strain into cocktail glass. Garnish with a fresh twist.

Instead of shaking it with a twist, you can use lemon and/or lime juice (use no more than 1/4 oz each), but I like the subtle citrusy element the shaken peel provides.

I keep a few bottles of Rye around for mixing into manhattans and a few other cocktails, but I sip Bourbon or Scotch (when I'm feeling ballur).

Yep, I've been drinking Old Overhort recently as I work my way through the learning the classic cocktails; tonight is the inaugural Manhattan (The Old Fashioned has just been displaced.) I'll branch out once I've gotten used to each, but since I'm fairly new to the flavor of Rye, I figure I'll make a slow go of it.

Top Bottom