What's new

First Str8 shave....not good

Hey there Gents,

Last week I ordered a razor and strop kit from SRD. It's the one linked here.

http://www.straightrazordesigns.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=73&products_id=1098

I whipped it out today, wiped the oil off the blade, lathered up and went after it. I was under the impression that it had already been honed and all and was ready to go? Correct me if I'm wrong.

I had about 4 days growth on my face, thinking it would soften up a touch and make it easier to cut when the blade finally arrived. Boy was I wrong. I had a beautifully thick and slick lather with Arko, held the blade properly at a 30 degree angle, stretched the skin, and tried to take a pass down my right cheek.....OUCH! :mad3:

This thing pulled my hairs like a mad man. Tried a sharper angle on the blade, no success.

So I pulled out my Merkur HD with a Red Personna and did a full WTG pass, hoping that shorter hair would be easier to get through.

Rinsed my face and re-lathered and tried it with the straight again. Better, but still tons of tug and pull. :blink:

Should I have stropped it first? I'm hesitant to strop it because I'm still unsure how to do it properly...Instead of one strap with two sides, theres one leather one and one woven cloth one. Any insight on that?

Thanks in advance for any help fellas...

Well,

They say that no stropping is required. But this discussion has come up in the past and is highly debatable. I think if you got the blade straight from Lynn to your face that no...stropping would not be required. But there are so many factors at play. Length of time on a shelf..in a postman's hot cab, on a plane, in a humid warehouse...you name it. That razor was likely shave ready when it left the stones...but who knows how long it sat?

A good stropping will never hurt it (as long as you watch your technique). In fact, I've received str8s direct from manufacturers (like SRD) whom I respect and will buy from again...although their str8s say no stropping required in the box...if you ask the proprietor, they will likely tell you to give it a go 20-30 laps for good measure.

I'd also add that your first str8 shave will always suck...for 99% of the folks out there with the exception of Shangas who is literally the first guy I've read in like two years that didn't have problems on shave #1.

Stropping and shaving go hand in hand, need to be done every shave and are learned together...grab that blade, watch a ton of videos...practics on a butterknife or what have you and go to town on that strop, with your razor...before the next shave. Start slowly and work your way up in speed....form is the key!

Best of luck!

I agree; first shave usually doesn't go all that well. For me it has taken some time to get comfortable with my str8s. Also, I don't care for a freshly honed razor. I always strop it before I even attempt to shave with it. To me the stropping seems to calm the blade down to where it is a much more comfortable shave.

I agree; first shave usually doesn't go all that well. For me it has taken some time to get comfortable with my str8s. Also, I don't care for a freshly honed razor. I always strop it before I even attempt to shave with it. To me the stropping seems to calm the blade down to where it is a much more comfortable shave.

Good point...I can think of only one guy whose razors I dont have to strop before shaving....and he's not a vendor :001_smile

Legion

Staff member
Yep, my first straight shave was on a three day growth and that was a mistake. It is always harder to mow though long hair, make your first shaves easy ones. Also, you are going to have to strop after your second shave even with a professionally honed razor so you might as well start practicing from the get-go.

Just go in baby steps. Strop slowly. Shave just your cheeks to start. Gradually start exploring the rest of your face and using your non dominant hand. You'll get it.

Thanks Chris,

I'll try to watch some more videos on stropping and how to use my other hand with the razor.

Thankfully I got no nicks or cuts, but thats not saying much. :blushing:

If I continue to fail miserably, I'm right down the street. Don't be surprised if I show up on your doorstep with a razor and strop looking like a lost puppy :lol:

Well,

They say that no stropping is required. But this discussion has come up in the past and is highly debatable. I think if you got the blade straight from Lynn to your face that no...stropping would not be required. But there are so many factors at play. Length of time on a shelf..in a postman's hot cab, on a plane, in a humid warehouse...you name it. That razor was likely shave ready when it left the stones...but who knows how long it sat?

A good stropping will never hurt it (as long as you watch your technique). In fact, I've received str8s direct from manufacturers (like SRD) whom I respect and will buy from again...although their str8s say no stropping required in the box...if you ask the proprietor, they will likely tell you to give it a go 20-30 laps for good measure.

I'd also add that your first str8 shave will always suck...for 99% of the folks out there with the exception of Shangas who is literally the first guy I've read in like two years that didn't have problems on shave #1.

Stropping and shaving go hand in hand, need to be done every shave and are learned together...grab that blade, watch a ton of videos...practics on a butterknife or what have you and go to town on that strop, with your razor...before the next shave. Start slowly and work your way up in speed....form is the key!

Best of luck!

Just watched a few videos in the stropping contest thread. Rough, then smooth.

I'll go give it a try and then again before I shave tomorrow night.

It's also important to realize that a straight shave has a different feel than a DE shave. Also, it will take several months (or more) to truly get the technique of the straight down. Try keeping the angle as shallow as possible. I started getting better shaves when I stopped worrying about the 30 degree angle and went to a more shallow angle.

It's also important to realize that a straight shave has a different feel than a DE shave. Also, it will take several months (or more) to truly get the technique of the straight down. Try keeping the angle as shallow as possible. I started getting better shaves when I stopped worrying about the 30 degree angle and went to a more shallow angle.

I tried going at a more shallow angle, but with all that hair and my failure to strop it before shaving is I think what got me.

I'd also add that your first str8 shave will always suck...

Start slowly and work your way up in speed....form is the key!

Best of luck!

Yes

My first straight shave wasn't fun. I believe part of the problem was that I could achieve BBS with a DE so the bar was set pretty high to begin with. I alternated between DE and Straight on a daily basis but it became a routine of one really good shave (DE), one poor shave (straight), one really good shave (DE) and my straight shaves weren't improving so I decided to commit to my straight. I took a month to shave with the straight only at the end of which I had my technique sorted.

Now I only use my straights. It takes time and the first shaves can be discouraging but it does get better.

Also the best tip I can give is the angle should be about twice the width of the spine of the blade. It will seem that the blade is too close to the face but it does work

Last edited:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Shave #1 isn't good usually, a minority get a good shave, I didn't... The blade skipped and it was shave ready that I'm sure.

Your lather/prep need to be perfect. Try a lower angle, the spine almost on your face. Sometimes, it helps.

sounds like a classic first shave to me; they can only get better from here!

i'll echo the gents above and say that 30 degrees with a straight is a bit steep... try bringing the spine closer to your face, especially for the first pass.

one thing i had to learn when switching from DEs to straights was exactly how much to stretch the skin. my learning curve went thus: slight stretching of skin ala DE = ok. stretching skin as if i'm pulling it off my face = better.

straight shaving does require a much different technique. i've never had a straight shave that felt quite as smooth as a DE, but the end result with a straight can be better. with a little effort put into practicing, you'll be getting better shaves that stay smooth longer.

keep at it. it's fun. :thumbup:

I experienced a lot of pulling with my first shave as well. Try smaller quicker strokes. I found that I tried to be really careful and went slowly but that was counterproductive. Going to slow resulted in pulling.

Also just lower the angle for good measure.

Good luck and remember that it does get better.

one thing i had to learn when switching from DEs to straights was exactly how much to stretch the skin. my learning curve went thus: slight stretching of skin ala DE = ok. stretching skin as if i'm pulling it off my face = better.

This is one thing that I still have to focus on. I'm bad about getting lazy with my stretching. It does make a world of difference.

Thanks Chris,

I'll try to watch some more videos on stropping and how to use my other hand with the razor.

Thankfully I got no nicks or cuts, but thats not saying much. :blushing:

If I continue to fail miserably, I'm right down the street. Don't be surprised if I show up on your doorstep with a razor and strop looking like a lost puppy :lol:

No worries mate. If you continue to have problems after a couple of weeks let me know and we'll set up a meet to go over the basics. I'm no expert, but I've been at it awhile now and have all the basics covered with the exception of bevel setting and restoration honing down.

Everyone has a different learning curve. I came out of the gate slowly myself and considered giving up. Don't be too hard on yourself; don't expect it to all happen at someone else's pace. If you want to make it work, it'll happen. GL.

This is one thing that I still have to focus on. I'm bad about getting lazy with my stretching. It does make a world of difference.

the one time i got a nasty cut was when i wasn't stretching the skin. stretching makes the shave closer and keeps you safer! :tongue_sm

Top Bottom