What's new

What are the must have new DE razors to collect?

So after a full day of combing the internet in search of something I would like to collect, I've settled on collect new DE's rather than old ones. The older ones just don't float my boat for some reason, there's a few I wouldn't mind having but other than that I like new stuff.

So in my new quest of purchasing razors I'm wondering what are the must have razors out there today? I have a EJ89L, and I'm looking at a gold Merkur HD for my next purchase. I'd also like to have a variety in aggression of razors as well. Looking at the Merkur HD it seems as though the head is identical to my EJ and therefore would probably give me the same shave in my mind with the only exception being the weight is 5 grams more on the HD.
I could always go for a slant bar I suppose or an adjustable but there again you kinda just get into the same thing of how many identical heads with different handles do I really need?

Gentlemen I humbly ask for your knowledge and opinions.

I think if you're not careful, you are definitely going to end up with a lot of the "same razor". You have a new EJ, so unless you want to own a Muhle-P just to own it, you don't need one of those. Some Merkur heads are the same in that line, too.

I'd make sure you have an idea what you would like to acquire before you pull out the credit card. Good luck and happy hunting.

I agree with the previous poster. With that said, I'd add a Merkur 1904 open comb to the collection. It's quite a bit different from the standard EJ/Merkur straight bars and is a great shaver to boot.

Consider an adjustable perhaps; you can vary the aggressiveness, which is nice, I have both a Futur and a Progress, both made by Merkur. They are both adjustable, but have different qualities. The Futur is heavier, and I find I can use the weight of that beast to just glide without having to use pressure. The Progress is easier to adjust (and safer) and has a more textured handle that gives me a better grip. For the others, I love my Feather stainless and my EJ Chatsworth.

Happy searching!

Chris

I've thought about the progress and I'm gonna put it on my list. I'm also wanting a TTO I've looked at parker and weishi but they don't seem to be that great. Anyone have thoughts on that?

Unfortunately the best TTO's are vintage gillettes, every other one is just a poor imitation (generally a direct, possibly licensed copy of a gillette).

But if you were going new it'd be great to have an open comb, an EJ, an adjustable, and a slant. That's quite a lot of variation. :)

One day you may cave, and get a gillette TTO. They're my favourite razors. :>

Unfortunately the best TTO's are vintage gillettes, every other one is just a poor imitation (generally a direct, possibly licensed copy of a gillette).

But if you were going new it'd be great to have an open comb, an EJ, an adjustable, and a slant. That's quite a lot of variation. :)

One day you may cave, and get a gillette TTO. They're my favourite razors. :>

I have a Gillette slim and a Fatboy and don't really care for either of them.

Why not get a PILs & a Feather stainless steel, that would round out the high end of new razors.

I think I may buy one of those relatively soon.

Well, you probably won't care for a parker or weishi then! :p

But i recommend trying a rocket HD before giving up on gillette. It's my favourite TTO, it feels solid like a three piece, and the mechanism makes the fatboy feel cheap.

Maybe the Feather Portable, not because it's a particularly spectacular razor, but because it is well made and no longer in production.

Top Bottom