What's new

A good aftershave to prevent breakouts?

Hello all,

I just started wetshaving and I have been using the musgo real aftershave balm. After using it for the past four or so shaves I've been breaking out. What is a good aftershave that I could buy at rite aid or cvs that won't make me breakout? Thanks for your help.

Hello all,

I just started wetshaving and I have been using the musgo real aftershave balm. After using it for the past four or so shaves I've been breaking out. What is a good aftershave that I could buy at rite aid or cvs that won't make me breakout? Thanks for your help.

Alum? If rite or cvs does not have something like Razo Rock, you could probably use one of the underarm crystals.

I personally don't use Alum on my face because I don't need it. However, I'm sure some folks here could tell you how to apply it.

I'd make sure it's not your technique rather than the AS. If you're getting red bumps, that razor burn/rash, nothing to do with the AS.

Two that I use and can recommend are Thayer's Witch hazel and Alum... I use both in my routine, some people prefer one over the other. A really great AS product that contains both WH and Alum is Speick AS.

balms have always inflammated my acne. If my face is dry i use a lotion after the splash. I currently use Eucerin daily protection brand moisterizer/spf. But only in the dry months and only in small amounts.

Try a splash. Alot of splashes have a little bit of moisterizer in them but allmost all have astringents in them that will help with your acne. I use musgo real splash and aramis. Both work for me. The eucerin lotion absorbs quickly and is very light. It's a good combination.

Here is something I am finding - I had been using Speick shave cream and Speick aftershave. They helped my acne a lot. But my scalp was always broken out.

I am a transplant recipient. My drugs make my skin oily and patchy and prone to breakouts. So I am always on the lookout for things that work.

I love the scent of Speick. So I ordered the bar soap. It's not cheap at $3.50 a bar. But guess what? I used it to wash my hair and my scalp is clear. I had used Head and Shoulders, and Neutrogena coal tar shampoo. Neither did the job. Speick did. And to ice the cake I love the scent while I'm in the shower. Plus it also helps my face further.

I don't know what the awesomesauce is they put in this. And I am not one to try herbal *anything* or any "alternative" medications since I have to be really careful to avoid anything that will interfere with or alter how my drugs work. But when I use the bar soap, my scalp is clear. When I don't in a matter of days it's breaking out.

Note - I didn't buy the bar soap to control acne or even as a shampoo. I bought it for the scent, period. I used it to wash my hair after I ran out of regular shampoo and couldn't get to the store for a while. The effects were un-lookedfor.

Get some. That is all. Try a Speick regimen for a bit and see what happens. My usual day is shower with Speick soap. Shave with Speick cream or shave stick. Aftershave is Speick splash - what they call lotion.

I throw in other stuff for variety but most days its all Speick.

+1 on alum. Alum is a crystal of either pottasium alum or ammonium alum. Both of these compunds can be used as aftershave/astringent and deodorant. If you don't have handy access to potassium alum intended for shaving, you can use one of the ammonium alum "Crystal" deodorants that look like a lump of rock salt in a plastic tube... its what I use every day, and I've never felt compelled to spend $15 on a "proper" block of alum.

After shaving, rinse the soap off with hot water. You don't want your pores closing while they're still loaded with shaving oil, shaving soap, etc! Next, wet the alum with cold water and rub all over the shaved area. The alum will close your pores, but some will get inside them first - a good thing, since alum has anti-bacterial properties. Rinse the alum off with cold water after a few minutes, then follow up with your usual aftershave/ASB routine.

Two that I use and can recommend are Thayer's Witch hazel and Alum... I use both in my routine, some people prefer one over the other. A really great AS product that contains both WH and Alum is Speick AS.

+1 on the Thayers. Great stuff, and a lot less irritating and drying than alcohol based splashes.

Here is something I am finding - I had been using Speick shave cream and Speick aftershave. They helped my acne a lot. But my scalp was always broken out.

I am a transplant recipient. My drugs make my skin oily and patchy and prone to breakouts. So I am always on the lookout for things that work.

I love the scent of Speick. So I ordered the bar soap. It's not cheap at $3.50 a bar. But guess what? I used it to wash my hair and my scalp is clear. I had used Head and Shoulders, and Neutrogena coal tar shampoo. Neither did the job. Speick did. And to ice the cake I love the scent while I'm in the shower. Plus it also helps my face further.

I don't know what the awesomesauce is they put in this. And I am not one to try herbal *anything* or any "alternative" medications since I have to be really careful to avoid anything that will interfere with or alter how my drugs work. But when I use the bar soap, my scalp is clear. When I don't in a matter of days it's breaking out.

Note - I didn't buy the bar soap to control acne or even as a shampoo. I bought it for the scent, period. I used it to wash my hair after I ran out of regular shampoo and couldn't get to the store for a while. The effects were un-lookedfor.

Get some. That is all. Try a Speick regimen for a bit and see what happens. My usual day is shower with Speick soap. Shave with Speick cream or shave stick. Aftershave is Speick splash - what they call lotion.

I throw in other stuff for variety but most days its all Speick.

Just an FYI.. Speick makes a shower gel that can be used as a shampoo.

+1 on alum.

I respect all these "alum +1" and I own a RazoRock, but if I have the slightest bit of irritation (even if I can't see it), Alum will set it off and after less than 2 minutes, I'll have all kinds of red bumps that take a bit of time to subside.

Perhaps it's great when you have a no irritation shave, but i kinda am taking a break from Alum and looking towards Toner, like Thayers or Alba Hibiscus, or Shea Moisture Tea Tree Herbal Bump Preventer.

100% on the Witch Hazel. I had the same problem, but haven't had a single breakout since using it. I use it as an aftershave splash before my balms, etc, and once a day use it on one of those round cotton pads to thoroughly clean the skin. Works great!

Top Bottom