What's new

3 weeks in...

Hey all,

So it's been 3 weeks since I started my wetshaving journey, and while I am getting good results, I'm still having a bit of trouble with my neck. This is frustrating, as I am a perfectionist. A big one actually.

I think I have solved the ingrown hair problems I was having on a small area of my neck (whiskers grow in a myriad of directions), but I still can't get my neck as smooth as my face. Any thoughts? Here's my setup:

Merkur HD
Crystal "Israeli" blades for right now (I have also tried Merkur, Derby, Astra SP blades)
Proraso creme with C&E pure badger brush
witch hazel/alum block
alba moisturizer

WTG x2, XTG, light touch ups

Sometimes I shave after I shower in the morning, sometimes I shave at night using Kyle's prep. Both seem to give more or less the same quality shave. My beard is very thick and coarse, and I'm wondering if I should just jump in and try a Feather blade? I have had only had a few nicks here and there since starting, so I'm fairly confident with my technique, but still scared of Feathers' reputation.

Any thoughts?

I've been wet shaving for a few months now and can get BBS shaves almost every day, but I STILL have problems with my neck. I have learned to not go overboard on my neck. I don't get the bumps or rash anymore, so that is nice.

Some ideas:

You could try stretching your neck skin taut while shaving.
Try different blade angles.
Do not use pressure on the neck area.
Try different directions.
Make sure to re-lather that area, to make sure your lather has not dried out.

First, I would not focus on perfection but instead perfecting your technique. So far, it seems you are consistent with your setup and I would not change anything yet as the shaves seem to be fine, excepting of course your critical assessment of your neck. Tighten the neck area slightly; make the area taught with a couple of fingers of your free hand. Rather than go with Feathers, try a ATG pass for that extra closeness but be careful of applying to much pressure.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Feathers are sharp but I was expecting sharper. If you think you're ready to try something else, try one.

The problems that you have can be related to pressure...

I recommend Gillette 7'oclock blades. I found them almost if not just as sharp as feathers and not as harsh on my neck. Of course YMMV but trying both won't hurt. Feathers are sharp but so are all DE blades to some degree. Just concentrate on your technique and you'll be fine.

I agree with much the advice that you have already received, especially the importance of focusing upon technique (particularly, blade angle) and upon avoiding pressure.

At times, I will use a Feather blade. But my go-to blade is the Astra SP. You might want to consider it for future use.

Thanks to everyone for the advice! I am starting to realize more and more how much of a process this is. That is, any changes will come about slowly, not overnight. It's just like learning an instrument: you have to practice every day, and even after a whole week or a whole month or a whole year, there is still so much to be learned!!

+1 on the 7 o'clock yellows and ATG pass as well as stretching.
I haven't mastered the neck area yet (irritation free - perfect bbs) and I am on 6 months! close, but not there yet. pretty course, thick beard, sensitive neck. I have noticed that the yellows are good and so are the Red Pack Personnas(not as sharpt but very smooth). To me - feathers are sharper than yellows and less forgiving. If i would try and force a bbs with no atg pass it would be bloody and probably impossible.

Try an ATG pass - focus on angle, minimal pressure only if you are irritation free on your current routine.

Top Bottom